DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To start, i'm not sure if this topic has been discused already, i didnt see much of it in the search results nor ever really brought up while i've been a member, besides people selling heads for around 1.5k...

Anyways, as i was researching our engine before my cam install (i want to framiliarize myself with its workings as best as possible since this will be my first cam) I came across a pretty good read which discussed the hemi heads and their flow potential. http://www.popularhotrodding.com/tech/0403phr_chrysler_hemi_57_liter_345ci_engine_review/

Which got me wondering, if i were to take my heads into a shop (http://www.superiorautomotive.com/superior-auto-services.htm heres a local one), could i expect to see much of an improvement?

I'll have to call over there and see what kind of money we're looking at. :rck:I imagine the machine work is less than the 1500 i've been seeing.

·
All Around Great Guy
12,674 Posts
You are always going to get better numbers porting and polishing the heads, but you have to ask yourself is the 1500 bucks worth the 30 horse? I say if you don't have the cash, leave it alone. This is MO only, I feel the hemi heads flow well enough for me NOW, but when i get it paid off, i am going through it.

·
MrDestinE
664 Posts
while I have yet to lay my hands on a set of Hemi heads, I have found ( back when I had a SF600 flowbench ) that I could typically get 10% minimum flow increase with just a full radius Valve Job ( or what I called a Competition Valve Job ). which would be the best bang for the buck.... Find someone using a Serdi or a Sunnen valve seat machine, they are the best IMO, and it would be best to find someone who has been doing Hemi heads..... there will be some experimentation necessary to find the ideal radius cutter and entry, exit angles or radii for best flow.. Full bore port work requires a lot of experimentation and the scarifice of a few heads.... means expensive, go with proven work if you chose to do that.... there are a lot of heads out there that may look good but will not work well.... on my days on the bench I was surprised to see what did work and some of the stuff I thought would, did not. And do not rely on big flow numbers alone.... that is not always what you need... it all goes back to experimentation.... what will work well for you will not work well for someone else..
good luck!

TJ

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
MrDestinE, We have spent alot of time with the new Hemi heads. The hardest, and most fun part, was to take a new head and cut it all apart to see what was inside. We then started to hand port the heads and used a SF 600 with Flow Com, for our bench testing and design. I was shocked to see what a simple pocket port would do to these things. We then used different intake and valve sizes as well. We have designed 4 different 5.7 intake ports and 3 exhaust. We use intake valves from the stock sized 2.00", to custom 2.02", 2.08" and a 2.10". They are complimented with the stock 1.55" valve and custom 1.57", 1.60" and 1.75". We are now working on a 6.1 head design, with a custom 2.25" intake and a 1.75" exhaust valves. After we are satisfied with our hand port design, we then digitize them and use a Millport machine with centriod controls and Master Cam software thats a true full simultanious 5 axis machining. Heads? We got heads.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the comments, and speaking of taking it to an experienced place, it seems my local shop has a lot. i guess i'm a step ahead there!

·
HC-Racing,LLC
1,841 Posts
Jerry Killian lives here in Warner Robins Ga.
He has been porting heads for top fuel cars and the like for 30 plus years..
He has a flow bench, and he gets 450.00 a set to port aluminum heads.
http://members.tripod.com/porting_killians/index.html
He has done mustang heads for me before, and I would put his porting up against the worlds finest.
He will be doing mine when my salvage engine comes..
Just throwin that info out there..
L.

·
Inertia ROCKS!!!!
12,164 Posts
MrDestinE said:
while I have yet to lay my hands on a set of Hemi heads, I have found ( back when I had a SF600 flowbench ) that I could typically get 10% minimum flow increase with just a full radius Valve Job ( or what I called a Competition Valve Job ). which would be the best bang for the buck.... Find someone using a Serdi or a Sunnen valve seat machine, they are the best IMO, and it would be best to find someone who has been doing Hemi heads..... there will be some experimentation necessary to find the ideal radius cutter and entry, exit angles or radii for best flow.. Full bore port work requires a lot of experimentation and the scarifice of a few heads.... means expensive, go with proven work if you chose to do that.... there are a lot of heads out there that may look good but will not work well.... on my days on the bench I was surprised to see what did work and some of the stuff I thought would, did not. And do not rely on big flow numbers alone.... that is not always what you need... it all goes back to experimentation.... what will work well for you will not work well for someone else..
good luck!

TJ
I wonder if we could get a 10% increase with the Hemi heads with the three angle valve job? I'd also cut .020 off the heads while they were at the shop. Hey TJ any idea what something like that would cost?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.