DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got two 7" monitors i bought off ebay that came already in the headrest. The ones i have done match my interior so i wanted to take them out and put them in the factory headrest. I took the screen out of the headrest i bought and the brackets that are screwed in there look like they go really deep. I'm pretty good when it comes to installations just have never done this and the local shops want to charge me $250 plus for this. Any help would be great. Ohh and sorry i took the pics with my sidekick 3 and the camera on those things suck!
Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
890 Posts
OK, I reread your post a few times. I don't think I know what the question is.

You'll have to carve the foam of your factory headrest so the bracket will fit in there.

I guess I really don't understand why you bought those headrests instead of buying just the screens to begin with.

I'm glad you posted this though. Someone PM'd me a couple weeks ago wanting advice, and I forgot to reply back. I hope it wasn't you. Sorry if it was.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well i wanted to fit the bracket in the factory headrest. But like i said i've just never done anything like that. Mabey it would be best for me to just buy screens and install them?

·
Registered
890 Posts
With such small pictures, and without actually holding it, it's tough to say. I guess it just depends how deep the bracket goes? The posts for the stock headrests go up quite a ways.

Are your seats cloth or leather? If they're cloth, I wonder if you could get your aftermarket headrests dyed?

Another thing to consider is how wide the borders of those screens are. I have 7" monitors, but the borders look smaller than the one's you have, and mine barely fit in the stock headrests. I mean, you could cut beyond the seam of the headrest cover I guess, but I don't know how good it will look.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the headrest are leather and here are a few more pics if the monitor out of the headrest. the bracket is 9 inches in width 3 inches in debth.And the actual monitor in 8x5 1/2.

Attachments

·
Registered
890 Posts
WOW!!! Those look pretty thick. Might be too wide too?? You might be able to pull it off, but I really kind of doubt it. If you paid more than $200 for those, I'd probably look at trying to sell those and getting just the screens and going that route.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No they are just the monitors but i installed one already and it came out ok. I will post some pics when i leave work. I am going to buy new headrest and two more monitors in the near future and just have them installed. Thanks for all the help

·
Registered
890 Posts
I'm glad you got it worked out. In all honesty, I'm surprised. Those monitors you have there are pretty big.

I'm going to post this in the Mobile Audio/Video section too, just because I get asked this a lot. Maybe you can find some use for it too.

Anyway, this is a guide I used to install my monitors. The first two links are scans of the Magazine article I used. It was in the August 2005 issue of Car Audio and Electronics.

The third link is an article I found online.

The articles together, along with a bit of common sense made the install easy. Just think about what you are doing and how you want them to look. For example, I wanted mine flush, and I did not want the bezel to be seen, so I had to take that into consieration.

Good luck!!!

Page 1 of Car Audio and Electronics "How-To"

Page 2 of Car Audio and Electronics "How-To"

Link To Velocity Motorsports "How-To"

****If these links disappear for some reason, let me know and I'll host them again. I'd post the actual images, but I don't think the DodgeTalk Admins would appreciate that too much. :D

·
Fireball!!!
1,049 Posts
Couldn't you use the material from your original headrests and retro-fit them on the ones you bought and cut out the material for the screens?

·
Registered
645 Posts
If you end up needing a head rest due to "issues", I have a set of the dark gray/black ones. I also have some leather head rest covers for a GEN 3 as well, Both the front and the back ones. Good luck

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.