DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i recently installed a new remanufactured alternator on my truck after having problems with the wire heating up, well that stopped, but now when my truck is at idle and i rev it the headlights, instruments lights, interiorlights, everything gets brighter, the voltage gauge also rises. then everything dims back down when it falls back to idle, is there anything wrong or is this a normal thing? i thought maybe if i raised the idle to about 100 rpm more itd fix the problem not sure if thats the fix or not.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
That's typical STOCK alternator. It's been my experience that the factory uses just enough alternator power to make sure everything works. When you idle up, speed up, rev up, the alternator spins faster, making more power.

If you didn't get a STOCK alternator, something like a 136 amp unit and it was still doing that, then I'd be concerned. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the wire heating up doesn't sound normal.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Probably cause if it is a higher power altenator then it supplies more power to those things that normally didnt recieve such power. I wouldnt really worry about unless it starts shorting stuff out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.