DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 74 D100 and I would like to upgrade my headlights. Can anyone recommend a good upgrade mod?

·
Registered
73 Posts
I would imagine that you probably got the single 7-in headlights so check out JW speaker, morimoto also known as the retrofit source, and headlight revolution.com these companies have some very modern LED type stuff if you want something more old school but a huge improvement from those cheap halogens check out Daniel sternlighting.com for his Cibie headlight upgrade. You can rig up your own system if you find a 7-in housing that allows you to use different bulbs and then you could try different bulbs. You're definitely going to want to do a headlight harness upgrade using relays so that you take the power away from the headlight switch and then you're going to run the lights directly from the battery to give the highest output to the bulbs. LMC truck and many of the wiru g harness companies offer these headlight harness upgrade kits. I did the Daniel Stern kit on mine many years ago and it uses 55 watt bulbs and it was a huge improvement from the old stuff but nowadays the LED stuff is a lot better. There are a lot of these newer LED housings that all look the same and the prices are all over the place they have multiple elements in the housing but you might need to try to do some research to see if there's a difference in quality of construction. Here's a picture of what I got. I only purchased them bc the companies reputation is well known. I haven't installed yet bc I'm re restoring the truck again. Hope this helps, Brian
Screenshot_20201010-232040_Chrome.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Attachments

·
Registered
73 Posts
So I just found a video from The Retrofit source where they talk about these 7" LEDs. The ones on the far right are the cheaper ones that you'll find everywhere with prices to match. Mind you some of these are geared toward the newer Jeep wrangler's and you might encounter fitment issues in your bucket. Totally speculating but you may have to cut out the backside of the bucket to get it to sit flush with your grill. Google the title or YouTube it to find out.
Brian
Screenshot_20201010-233425_YouTube.jpg

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks a lot guys I will research what you have posted

·
Registered
199 Posts
7 inch round, I'd check into JW Speaker or Morimoto LEDs, or a good 7" HID projector retrofit.

Do remember, the really cheap crap is cheap really crap ... :sick: But. DO shop around and find a good deal on them.

RwP

·
Registered
73 Posts
Also since we're close to the holidays follow those companies on social media or check their site bc there will be some good sales for sure.
Brian

·
Registered
3 Posts
I use morimoto and yeah works just best compare to cheap ones. And yep....more online stores now are doing some sale just because for sure they have a decrease in sales because of the pandemic.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 74 D100 and I would like to upgrade my headlights. Can anyone recommend a good upgrade mod?
BB7E8B92-135B-47E6-B4FC-691FC5B3422C.jpeg
5C61B37C-744C-4C06-97B2-4703C2D530D2.jpeg
BB7E8B92-135B-47E6-B4FC-691FC5B3422C.jpeg
I bought some halos from Car iD a while back. I’m happy with them so far.

·
Registered
394 Posts
If you don't want to spend vast money on this you can still get, I believe, the round lights designed for replaceable halogen bulbs, the old euro style, if you were after more of a stock appearance. You could easily install aftermarket LED bulbs in these to suit your taste.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just did this on my 78 warlock. Wanted to keep the stock look and couldnt find many other setups that kept that. Also I needed to replace that whole wiring harness for other reasons as well as doing relays for lights, fans, and horn. I went with some 7in glass housings from amazon, a relay box with fuse, bus bar with a 6awg wire from position battery stud and all new 14 awg wire to everything. No more witing issues to deal with from that end of my troublesome beast! I did get really cheap LED H4 bulbs but they work for now. All in probably 120 total to do the whole thing.

Link to amazon lights

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I bought some halos from Car iD a while back. I’m happy with them so far.

How well do light up the road at night?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
How well do light up the road at night?

Pretty well, the halos are just the DRL’s, 3 projector LED’s for the low beams. It’s a nice clean light with good visibility. You’d also want to upgrade your flasher (inside the glovebox) to a solid state flasher (do that for any LED headlight/taillight conversion). I also did the LED taillight kit from LMC truck.

Gives the ol’ Dodge some modern style.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Pretty well, the halos are just the DRL’s, 3 projector LED’s for the low beams. It’s a nice clean light with good visibility. You’d also want to upgrade your flasher (inside the glovebox) to a solid state flasher (do that for any LED headlight/taillight conversion). I also did the LED taillight kit from LMC truck.

Gives the ol’ Dodge some modern style.
How much work is in the flasher upgrade?

·
Registered
4 Posts
How much work is in the flasher upgrade?

That job is easy. Just disconnect the battery, open the glove box, pull out the old flasher and plug the new one in.
Not sure if they made any changes between my 72’ and your 74’ here’s what the part for mine looks like:

You can probably just pull your flasher out and take it to a parts store and tell them you need a replacement that will run LEDs.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That job is easy. Just disconnect the battery, open the glove box, pull out the old flasher and plug the new one in.
Not sure if they made any changes between my 72’ and your 74’ here’s what the part for mine looks like:

You can probably just pull your flasher out and take it to a parts store and tell them you need a replacement that will run LEDs.
Cool that seems easy enough.....thank you for the info.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts