DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, i have a 96 ram 1500, 5.2 single cab, recently i had a little taillight issue where when i would turn the headlights on i would get no taillight, so i checked everything and came across the wire on the switch that went to H was burnt(the green one) so i disconnected the harness noticed that the H prong thing was really loose, so i cut the the harness off since it was melted in some places, replaced the switch, wired the switch up(as far as im aware of the wires are in the original places) i did all this Friday March19 its Sunday March 21 and i got the same issue, but now there are no signs of burning/melting of H or any other wires on the switch.i Bypassed the harness but i dont think that should be a problem right? any suggestions on what to look at or look for? any help is appreciated.
Thanks in advance

Ant

·
Woodstock
762 Posts
:grum: What a nightmare. Whenever I find burnt wires I go over that whole system to find out what caused this to happen.
I don't know exactly what you have found/done so far but, after checking all the fuses I would remove the connectors at the rear tail lights to see if there was power at the bulbs. If there is power and they are not lighting you probably have a bad ground. If no power check the wire ( I think it's a Black/Yellow wire) continuity between the tailights and light switch and make sure it's not open. This way you know what's going on for sure and narrow your search to the area where the problem is. I don't understand what part of the wiring you have bypassed, but, there are several things tied into the headlight switch at different points. You really need a wiring diagram to know exactly how to trace this problem down.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well i rechecked the fuses monday,i found about 5 fuses blown pretty strange i thought but then i realized most of them were lights and the cigarette lighter which i knew just didnt mind. after replacing them everything is still working and its wensday.i read online and found its very common for those issues on 94-01 ram 1500 and 2500.something about dodge not putting a switch that can handle the load of the lights or something. and if you add lights to the stock ram switch, it will be easier for this to happen, which is im running strobes and im sure that didnt help it.

New switch buying info.

Advance Auto Parts here in South Florida had it for $70 and some change. which was Switch and harness.

Napa had just the switch for $24. which is what i brought and hardwired it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.