DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that the weather has turned cool again my '95 1500 has started to have headlight issues again. When I start up in the morning & turn the lights on, the headlights take 30 seconds to 2 minutes to come on (the rest of the lights are ok). I searched back thru the archives & most of you say it's the switch and/or the connector on the back of the switch.

Who has the best prices on the parts?

Also, who has a good price on a passenger's side headlight unit? Mine has about a 1/2 inch of water in it & the reflector is discolored.
thanks,
Mike Sal

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
try LMC truck for a quallity light.

·
Banned
5,244 Posts
I believe Auto Zone has the best price on the switch. Check the harness behind the switch. My lights started to flicker when you first turn them on. Found out that the one terminal melted all the plastic around it.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Autozone had a free shipping deal going for online purchases, so ordered both the connector & switch from them. Now all I need is the new lens.
Mike Sal

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Mike - I got a new switch off ebay for $37 shipped. My fog lights don't work and I've checked the wiring harness, relay, and fuse and they are all fine. I still haven't swapped it out but can send you the link if you'd like.

·
Registered
155 Posts
The switch is manual, YOU move it. What else in the circuit has moving parts???? The relay, swap it with the fuel pump relay (you know that one works ;) when its cold and then turn the lights on and see if that fixes the problem.

Zach571

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
The switch is manual, YOU move it. What else in the circuit has moving parts???? The relay, swap it with the fuel pump relay (you know that one works ;) when its cold and then turn the lights on and see if that fixes the problem.

Zach571
I don't know if you were responding to me but the fuse was good not blown, I swapped the relay with the horn relay and it works fine, and the headlights work fine as well. When you pull the switch out nothing happens with the fogs, even the little fog light in the switch doesn't light up. Not my first go round trying to diagnose a problem. :teacher:

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
jackedak, do your fogs have two relays? checked them both. mine does -and i find the excessive engineering.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
jackedak, do your fogs have two relays? checked them both. mine does -and i find the excessive engineering.
Where is the second one? I can't remember off the top of my head how many I checked, but under the hood in the fuse box and by the driver door jamn everything was fine. From what I can remember there was only 1 relay under hood.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
i have two relays under the hood. one for the multi pull switch and another relay for the high low beam switch.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was still putting off changing out the switch & connector, but this past week the lag time between turning the lights on & the headlights actually coming on has been increasing. This morning I had to drive about 10 miles with only parking lights before they finally came on (it was about 26 this morning).

I didn't have time to replace both parts tonight, but I did change the switch. I found no evidence of melting or hot conditions at the switch terminals or the connector terminals (no smell either). I'll see what happens in the morning. I need to dig out some butt splices to actually change the connector. If this doesn't fix it, I guess I'll try the relays.
Mike Sal

·
Registered
625 Posts
I had a problem with my headlight switch itself. I'd pull them and no light, if I flicked the knob for the lights, poof they turned on. I ended up just going to the junk yard and getting a new one and its worked ever since.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.