DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 ram 2500 I would like to know if anyone has put 2002 or 03 headlights grll and bumper on a 2000.I talked to the dealer and they said it would work just wanted to get a second opinion before I puchased any parts. thanks

·
Infinite Lives
6,499 Posts
Your gonna need more than just headlight grile and bumper.Your also gonna need the fenders and probably ALOT fo fabrication.The stock bumper on the 2nd gen rams is up high not low like the 3g.

·
Registered
208 Posts
i've seen a 2nd gen w/3rd gen headlights in it before and he had 2nd gen. fenders, besides a 3rd gen fender wont fit a 2nd gen. cause of the way the hoods are

·
GROUNDED
2,944 Posts
You need to modify the hood and fenders along with core support and bumper mounts to make it work. it is ALOT of sheetmetal work and all the metal finishing is pricey.

·
The Green Machine
1,722 Posts
I would love to see it, give it a shot. And, Welcome to the site.

BTW, are you a bigblock head or a big blockhead??? J/K :D :D :D ;)

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
edglock21 said:
I would love to see it, give it a shot. And, Welcome to the site.

BTW, are you a bigblock head or a big blockhead??? J/K :D :D :D ;)
Maybe he just likes Charlie Brown a whole lot.

·
Registered
38 Posts
People are either to lazy, or pessimistic on this sight, why the hell not do the swap, just keep in mind you'll be doing some trial and error. With the plastic welding kits the sell now, I would bet you could just remold the original bumper. Sheetmetal-wise anyone who says it's "ALOT" of work is just someone who doesn't like to do sheetmetal. ALOT of sheetmetal work is remolding a hood from a flat panel. This headlight thing couldn't take more than a day, inlcuding having to start from scratch a few time after realizing your original plans might not work.

·
Mmmmmmmmm, beer.
2,485 Posts
Here is a pic of a guy who tried it (from another forum).

Attachments

·
GROUNDED
2,944 Posts
4x4oli said:
People are either to lazy, or pessimistic on this sight, why the hell not do the swap, just keep in mind you'll be doing some trial and error. With the plastic welding kits the sell now, I would bet you could just remold the original bumper. Sheetmetal-wise anyone who says it's "ALOT" of work is just someone who doesn't like to do sheetmetal. ALOT of sheetmetal work is remolding a hood from a flat panel. This headlight thing couldn't take more than a day, inlcuding having to start from scratch a few time after realizing your original plans might not work.

haha, im not pessimistic but i do know most of you guys

1.) cant weld
2.) have no body work experience
3.) have no idea where to start

its more then cutting and welding in a new headlignt bucket, if you do it this way the lights wont be in the correct position due to the change in the fender countour from the third gen to the second gen. trust me from someone who has done front end swaps its ALOT of work and if your not putting alot of work into it your just hacking it and if thats your plan why not hot glue the light in.

Silver_DodgeRam said:
Here is a pic of a guy who tried it (from another forum).

as you can see in this pic the fender itself needs to be reshaped along the outtermost edge of the headlight. Mind you were only talking about the headlights now and havent even touched on the hood, grille, bumper, and taillights.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Maybe you're right about the lack of experience. I know when I read a guy asing about how much it costs to paint a bumper and guys are posting back "$400?" I realize some people have less experience, but then I'll read a thread about guys asking about a .004mm difference in push rod length, I overestimate the amount of people who are willing to get dirty.

I wouldn't attempt the mod on a daily driver, cause I would want the assurance of having a front end to drive with.

·
Registered
86 Posts
That picture looks ****ing hidious. Id kill myself if i did that to my truck. Perfect example of know a bit of what your doing before you go balls in and end up with a mess like that.

·
Registered
38 Posts
That's an "in progress" picture, the light still needs to leveled horizontally, but from the looks of it, I don't think it's too far fetched to say it could get done. The bumper is a whole different story.

Tires said:
That picture looks ****ing hidious. Id kill myself if i did that to my truck. Perfect example of know a bit of what your doing before you go balls in and end up with a mess like that.

·
Too Big to Sneak
448 Posts
I guess the big question is 'Why?'

If you want the 3rd Gen look, go buy a 3rd Gen. There's no good reason to hack up perfectly good 2nd Gen sheetmetal just to have 3rd Gen properties.

And if you're looking for the projector headlight look that 3rd Gen's have, pick up some of those projector light kits from eBay or something.

Work in progress or not, that picture posted above looks like ass to me, plain and simple. I hope the owner of that truck finally gets it worked out how he wants it to be... and I hope it winds up fitting better than it currently looks. But I'm thinking it looks about as out of place as girls with muffin tops wearing belly shirts.

·
The Green Machine
1,722 Posts
Mister 4x4 said:
...muffin tops wearing belly shirts.
:thatfunny :thatfunny :thatfunny

Muffin Tops

:thatfunny :thatfunny :thatfunny

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.