DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who has payed for installation on their headers. Just trying to see how much its gonna cost to get my headers installed. I know if i get shortys i could install them myself cause they just bolt on with no welding, but i was looking at the mid length headers from pacesetter and bassani that require some welding.

Also who's running what headers and what do you think about them?

·
Registered
251 Posts
I lucked out and found a DT member local to me to help with my install for a small fee - but when talking to local shops the lowest price I got was 450 and the avg. was about 650 with the high being 800. I will be installing my headers here in the next few weeks hopefully.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yah, I herd it wasnt cheap to install headers on our trucks. I have a mechanic that i do trade work with, so ill have to see what he'd want in return.

What set of headers did you end up with?

·
HOTROD
590 Posts
Do it your self man. Its really not that hard. I did mine in the driveway with basic hand tools. It cost way to much for the little bit of time that it takes to do it. I'm running gibson shorty's. I love them. I bought the cheap ones that were like 350 and i wraped them and sprayed them myself to help keep the engine bay cooler.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
That sounds like the best way to do it. Thanks!

·
Toothy Critters Rock!
7,238 Posts
I don't know about the mids
but if you'd do pacesetter LT's high flow cats with o2 bungs and the pacesetter y pipe. it's an EASY DIY job. the cats slip on the headers, you cut out a length of the pacesetter y the length of the cats, slide the y in the cats and the y pipe has enough pipe to reach the stock muffler even in a QC. add a some decent clamps and your done. You end up with 3" collector 3" cats, 3" exhaust and it all just fits together no issues.
I spent under $50 to get my cats and ypipe welded together at a shop a few days later. It's cheap to get a bit of welding done after it all fitted and clamped.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That sounds like a pretty bitchin set up but will it pass smog in california.

·
Toothy Critters Rock!
7,238 Posts
Don't know, thought CA required CARB and I don't think even the mids have that cert.
As far as visual and function it should pass

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I looked into it and the long tubes, the Y pipe, and the cats are not 50 state smog legal. Kinda sucks cause i liked the sound of having 3" tubing all the way from my Headers and back. The mids are smog legal tho and say they extract more power than shorties so i think there my best choice for out here.

·
Toothy Critters Rock!
7,238 Posts
Don't know I'd think cat back wouldn't be an issue.
The ypipe is designed cat less so they call it off road only but it's just pipe.

Just looked at the site, don't know if any headers would legal in CA:
http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/replace.htm#racing

Catalytic Converter Equipped Vehicles
Headers for use on catalytic converter equipped vehicles require an Executive Order to be legal for street use.

Heck reading the full document they could fail your truck because it doesn't have have a factory CAI.
"Any air cleaner that does not meet the original factory specifications requires an Executive Order to be legal for street use."

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I talked to my friend who owns a customizing shop out here today and he said they have never had any issues with any of that. As long as it states thats its 50 sate smog legal he said you can run it out here. Thanks for looking in to that for me tho that could have made things difficult.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.