DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, why is there such a significant difference in price between all of these headers??? Do they all flow the same but just have different coatings? If so, why are the prices so drastically different and what ones should i go with? I'm guessing over time the chrome ones will start to rust, etc. But what about the stainless compared to the coated?

·
Banned
7,000 Posts
Chrome ones are regular metal but chrome plated. Chrome retains heat, so they are pretty, but arent the best for performance.

Stainless shouldnt rust, and dont retain heat like chrome, so they would be better.

Coated helps expel the heat, and they look good, so its win/win.

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
chrome will look cool when they start to blue but thats about it. If I were to do it again I would but stainless headers and them have them coated that way they control heat and won't rust

·
Smoke 'Em If Ya Got 'Em!!
423 Posts
I previously had a set of Gibson SS on my truck. Within a month they had the rusted look and that was not good for a show truck. Finally bought me another set of the same Gibson SS headers but this time I had them KoolKhrome coated. 2 years later they look as good as the day I put them on. The Gibson coated headers were $630 and the SS were $430. Coating cost me $125 so I came out saving $75 on the deal.

·
Valdez Racing Team
13,913 Posts
...wow..that's plenty of money...

·
ASE approved
8,862 Posts
im running pacesetters that are coated inside and out. i have been running them for over almost 2 years (2 years next month) and there is no sign of rust. i have had them off the truck a couple times since i installed them and can say that the inside is not rusted eather.

·
Registered
28,800 Posts
Also, the coating keeps the heat in the runers, which is why they perform better than non-coated headers. The extra heat increases exhaust speed for a few extra hp.

·
I RECOMMEND FUKKEN WAX
13,990 Posts
Not all stainless is created equal. I had a set of stainless steel JBA's that started rusting before they were even on the truck.

·
Now Hemiplus
1,835 Posts

·
Registered
9,813 Posts
highdollar said:
You can always thermal coat the inside of your chromies as well...
I use the same coatings on the combustion chambers on my Edelbrock heads. Great stuff... Dropped the head temps drasticaly and like Matt said, the coatings keep the heat IN which improves velocity & scavenging which equals more torque & HP.

I have wanted to coat my entire exhaust system for a long time but the cost are a little high to do it. But I know If I can PREVENT the exhaust gas from cooling while its in the system It will make more HP.

Ceramic coatings are the way to go now days. I have had the ceramic coated Gibson headers for over 3 years now and they look almost as good as the day I purchased them.... I have had them off the truck a few times and their is ZERO rust.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

·
Registered
807 Posts
RubberFrog said:
Not all stainless is created equal. I had a set of stainless steel JBA's that started rusting before they were even on the truck.
Yep, my JBA's have the titanium ceramic coating, but I noticed rust on the primaries just a few days after the install. I know it's only surface rust, but it still looks like shit, and they were such a mofo to install that there's no way I'm gonna swap them out. I'd rather wait to get a set of CNC'd heads and bolt on some longtubes while the heads are still off the truck.

Like the other guys said, the ceramic coatings keep the heat in and increase performance while also protecting against rust. Jet-hot coated Dynatechs would be my pick if I could afford them. 304 stainless coated inside and out. They'll outlast your truck.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.