DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright I have been doing some searching and I havent really found what I am looking for. Here is what I am considering so far, option 1: BBK shorties w/ magnaflow y-pipe into my IMCO muffler dumped before rear axle. Option 2 Some type of mid length header[pacesetter or edelbrock] w/magnaflow y-pipe into my IMCO muffler dumped before rear axle. I like option 1 only because it is going to be the cheapest and I only have to go to the muffller shop to have the y-pipe installed because I will do the headers myself. Option 2 is probably going to provide the best gains of the two options however now we start getting into more cost for headers. Also if there is a mid length header that installs with out welding to the cats please advise! For some reason I really want to keep my cats on. I know everyone is going to say get the pacesetter longtubes with O/R y but I don't want any code issues or emmisions issues. Also like to keep this as cheap as possible, what option would everyone recommend?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
BTW this is on a 2005 RC/SB Ram 1500 w/ hemi

·
Registered
178 Posts
Your in the same predicament i was in. I am going with option 2 after talking to a member on here. He already had shorties and wasnt happy with them so he went to mid length edelbroks and is super happy with them. I would spend the little extra to make sure you feel the power gain.

·
"Shadetree Mechanic"
211 Posts
if it's performance, longevity and possible resalability your interested in, it's a no brainer, get the better parts, you won't be sorry you saved up a few extra bucks for them.:cool:
good luck_________

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Your in the same predicament i was in. I am going with option 2 after talking to a member on here. He already had shorties and wasnt happy with them so he went to mid length edelbroks and is super happy with them. I would spend the little extra to make sure you feel the power gain.
Hey thank for the replies I was kinda thinking about getting the edelbrock TES mid-length headers, but I havent really found anywhere that sells them, or at least I should say anyplace that clearly identifies them as the TES headers. Are all the edelbrock mid-length's the TES model? Also does anyone know if they require welding to install or is this something that can be done in my driveway with out the need to head to a welder?

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Well if your going to throw away your money why not give it to me.????.
If you think your saving money your not,your throwing it away.
If you want to get some performance out of your motor,why not spend the extra couple hundred bucks and do it right.
I hope you take some advice from people in this forum,it is good advice.
GEt some long tube pacesetter headers and get them coated.
It doesnt matter if they are mids or long tubes.
They will need to be welded up.
Maybe get a dryflow filter for your [email protected] while your at it.
If your looking for advice youll get really good advice in these forums,whether or not you follow it is your decision.
Welcome.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well if your going to throw away your money why not give it to me.????.
If you think your saving money your not,your throwing it away.
If you want to get some performance out of your motor,why not spend the extra couple hundred bucks and do it right.
I hope you take some advice from people in this forum,it is good advice.
GEt some long tube pacesetter headers and get them coated.
It doesnt matter if they are mids or long tubes.
They will need to be welded up.
Maybe get a dryflow filter for your [email protected] while your at it.
If your looking for advice youll get really good advice in these forums,whether or not you follow it is your decision.
Welcome.
Thanks for the welcome however I never said I was going to throw away my money. Everyones goals are different, I am asking about headers that I have heard good things about. Are the BBK headers going to yeild gains as good as the longtubes...No I understand that, but they still have recieved good reviews, and as I stated in my first post I want to maintain the stock cats. I will be living in Maryland in a few months and I need to pass state inspection and emissions so the stock cats have to stay for now. I do like the idea of the edelbrock mid-lengths which is probably my top choice right now. I have seen good gains, and reviews posted by about these headers as well. I am not looking into building a drag truck or squeezing every ounce of power out, so I dont think the longtubes are worth it for me. I just want a good replacement header that installs fairly easily and still gives noticable power to cost benefits while passing inspections and not throwing CEL's. Also can you tell me what benefit that switching to a dryflow filter would provide? I havent really thought about that before. Thanks

·
Registered
178 Posts
Hey thank for the replies I was kinda thinking about getting the edelbrock TES mid-length headers, but I havent really found anywhere that sells them, or at least I should say anyplace that clearly identifies them as the TES headers. Are all the edelbrock mid-length's the TES model? Also does anyone know if they require welding to install or is this something that can be done in my driveway with out the need to head to a welder?

Yah, I dont know why every site doesnt clarify the exact model and info on the edelbrok Headers for our trucks. The part number for the TES headers for 04-06 Ram 1500 2wd is 66792 i believe. I would call before you order from anyone to make sure that there the right set for your truck. The TES headers are the mid length headers.. most sites say there shorties. Shorty headers are pretty much the only headers that dont require welding for our trucks. The TES headers need welding at the cats.

Dont quote me on this... but depending on the installation you may be able to install them up to the welding part and then drive down to shop to get the welding done. Just an idea if your trying to save money on the install but i would look up the install on them first and talk to the place thats going to be welding them up too. Also, im sure someone on here would know if that would work. If you want something you can install yourself you would have to stick to shorties.

Moes has the TES headers for $530 with free shipping. They say there shorties and dont say TES... but the part number matches and the pic shows the right set. I would call to make sure.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
It does not matter if you go with long tubes or mids they have to be coated as the extra heat under the motor is to hot.
Mids or longtubes both need to be welded and will cost the same to get welded,maybe less for the longhtubes as you wont need to add a piece in like you do with the mids.
The stock y-pipe is a crushed pipe and is very restrictive so a new y-pipe will greatly help with the extra flow of your new headers.
The longtubes will out perform the mids by a long shot.
So i would suggest checking out moes performance since they have a sale on and check out some coated pacesetters and a new y -pipe.
The longtubes will not change your emmisions anymore than mids or shorts,but the extra power would be a great benifit over mids.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yah, I dont know why every site doesnt clarify the exact model and info on the edelbrok Headers for our trucks. The part number for the TES headers for 04-06 Ram 1500 2wd is 66792 i believe.

Moes has the TES headers for $530 with free shipping. They say there shorties and dont say TES... but the part number matches and the pic shows the right set. I would call to make sure.
Hey thanks again I will make sure to call whenever I am finally ready to pull the trigger.

·
Registered
178 Posts
It does not matter if you go with long tubes or mids they have to be coated as the extra heat under the motor is to hot.
Mids or longtubes both need to be welded and will cost the same to get welded,maybe less for the longhtubes as you wont need to add a piece in like you do with the mids.
The stock y-pipe is a crushed pipe and is very restrictive so a new y-pipe will greatly help with the extra flow of your new headers.
The longtubes will out perform the mids by a long shot.
So i would suggest checking out moes performance since they have a sale on and check out some coated pacesetters and a new y -pipe.
The longtubes will not change your emmisions anymore than mids or shorts,but the extra power would be a great benifit over mids.
Hey bud, not trying to hate on your long tubes, i mean i would run them if i could in california... but i cant. The Longtubes do increase your emissions more than shorties and mids. You lose a mpg or 2 with them witch means your burning more fuel, witch means your increasing your emissions. Smog places refuse to smog your truck out here in cali if your running them. I dont know maine's smog laws right now but shortly they will be just like ours. So in his case it would be a waste of time and money for him to get long tubes if he later had to pay to re-install his manifolds to pass smog.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Hey thanks again I will make sure to call whenever I am finally ready to pull the trigger.
Hey, no problem. I still have a month or so till i can do mine so you'll have to tell me how everything goes.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
The dryflow filters flow much better than the oiled ones.
They also dont deposit oil in your intake tube which will get into your throttlebody.
if you check your iat the sensor in your intake,it will have oil on it for sure.
Also for cleaning,they just need a simple wash in soapy water,and let dry.
same principle as a shop vac.
Longtube headers will for sure not loose MPG.
And longtubes will for sure not change your emissions any more tha mids.
This is a super deal.http://moesperformance.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_885_928_937&products_id=12181.
But its your truck so take it easy Grant

·
Valdez Racing Team
13,913 Posts
...uh oh..I have lt's out here in Cali...my first smog test is next year...what am I gonna do..;) I get way better gas mileage with lt's then stock as well...

·
Registered
178 Posts
Not trying to start a shiting match just trying to get the facts.

Longtube headers will for sure not loose MPG.

I just saw this in a forum recently with someone with long tubes saying you lose 1 mpg or 2 with lt's but you get the most power from them. Almost everybody in the forum had long tubes and nobody said otherwise.

And longtubes will for sure not change your emissions any more than mids.

If there emissions are just as good then why doesnt anyone offer a CARB legal set of LT's. Even pacesetters mids are not CARB legal.

·
Registered
178 Posts
...uh oh..I have lt's out here in Cali...my first smog test is next year...what am I gonna do..;) I get way better gas mileage with lt's then stock as well...
I was under the impression that LT's give you worse mpg after looking at a thread on here but maybe it depends on how your trucks set up. How much did it improve your mpg's.

From what ive herd you may be able to pass the smog part... its just if they visually turn your truck down. Good Luck!

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Edelbrocks require welding the little collector piece to the cat.

I'd stay stock before spending $500+ on midlengths again

I gained more going from mids to longtubes then from stock to mids

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.