DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking, and I think I want to put in head rest monitors. But I want them to blend in with the interior as if Dodge installed them at the factory. Which brings me to my question: where can I get head rest monitors for the '04 Ram? Do you have any pictures, website links and prices? I'd like to connect them to the MyGIG Infotainment System, if it'll work work in my truck. Thanks for your input.

·
Yea, It's a Hemi
6,865 Posts
best buy sells the headrests with the moniters installed

·
LPG Hemi
2,785 Posts
Check this out

Link :- http://stores.ebay.co.uk/whc88hk

I'm just bidding on a couple of black leather 9 inch headrest monitors with the wiring down the pole, for my QC.
BTW, be careful about what size monitor you pick. I believe that a 9" monitor is the max size you can go for if you want to keep the 16:9 picture format.
You can go for an 11" monitor, but that displays in 4:3 format, so no widescreen viewing.
They also do neat visor monitors as well.
Hope this helps?
Al.

·
Registered
890 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Been Thinking About This...

I have been thinking about doing this mod to keep the kids entertained (make that quiet) while in the back seat. When you say "Much cheaper"... what is a ball park number for the monitors and all necessary parts and how much time did you spend doing it.

BTW: Nice job on your headrest monitor mod. I really like it.

·
Registered
890 Posts
The monitors run about $100/each
DVD player about another $100
Two headphones about another $100

I already had the miscellaneous RCA cable and adapters, which really aren't all that expensive if you don't already have them.

Time depends on where and how you do your DVD player. Under the seat is the easiest, but I cut a slot below my headunit which was fairly time consuming.

The actual monitors probably took me about 4 hours just because I was very cautious. The first one took me about 3 hours, the second one was about an hour. Honestly the hardest part was getting the headrest cover off and back on.

·
If only I had more $$$
3,700 Posts
EZ4U2CHere

Very nice,

Was curious, the how-to link mentions pressing the screens into the trim and using the fabric to hold them in,.. to me thats a poor way to do it. They will fall out, especially on rough terrain. Am I wrong here, did I misread the how-to,.. how did/do you hold yours in?

·
Registered
890 Posts
There is no way those monitors are going anywhere, I don't care if you're out 4-wheeling, they're not budging. The friction fit from the fabric between the bezel and the screen is plenty tight enough.

Having said that, the bezels have clips on them to hold the monitor in place. I chose to purposely break those clips off to make it easier to replace the monitors if I ever should need to. I hope it will never come to that, but you never know.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
EZ4U2CHere said:
There is no way those monitors are going anywhere, I don't care if you're out 4-wheeling, they're not budging. The friction fit from the fabric between the bezel and the screen is plenty tight enough.

Having said that, the bezels have clips on them to hold the monitor in place. I chose to purposely break those clips off to make it easier to replace the monitors if I ever should need to. I hope it will never come to that, but you never know.
EZ4U2CHere-
Thanks for the info. What brand are yours? And where did you get them? They are the 9", right? I may be getting a MegaCab in a month so I might just do this instead of opting for the overhead factory screen because it looks like the kids will get a stiff neck from looking up at it. Thanks again.

·
If only I had more $$$
3,700 Posts
larbud said:
EZ4U2CHere-
Thanks for the info. What brand are yours? And where did you get them? They are the 9", right? I may be getting a MegaCab in a month so I might just do this instead of opting for the overhead factory screen because it looks like the kids will get a stiff neck from looking up at it. Thanks again.
Thats one reason why I didn't get the overhead dvd, bad neck posture..and only one screen.

·
Registered
890 Posts
larbud said:
EZ4U2CHere-
Mine are 7" and they are XO-Vision. 7" is plenty big enough for a QuadCab, and I bet it's probably ideal for a MegaCab as well.

Mine are dual source so I can hook a game system up to them too if I want to.

Keep in mind, the screens are all made by 1 of I believe 3 companies and are just rebadged. The options and the name is what you pay for when you are price shopping.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The wires

I just ordered a set of 7" monitors and Non-In Dash DVD. And after the fact I looked at my truck and noticed the headrest poles are solid. How did you guys conceal the wires? Where they go from the headrest to the seat back? I hate anything to be sticking out. I like it to look clean and like it's stock. Any suggestions?

·
LPG Hemi
2,785 Posts
Can't help you on the wires bud, as mine came with them running down the center of the headrest poles.
I got the 9" pillow headrests with monitors off e-bay and they are great in my quad cab.
Al.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
LPGHemi said:
Can't help you on the wires bud, as mine came with them running down the center of the headrest poles.
I got the 9" pillow headrests with monitors off e-bay and they are great in my quad cab.
Al.
Al -
What kind of interior do you have? I have the dark gray preferred suede/leather in the Laramie. I was just wondering if it matches your interior. That was the reason I was going to install them in my original headrests, I didn't think they'd be an exact match. But if they match I'll sell these and get a set like you got. Can you post some pics?

·
Registered
890 Posts
larbud said:
I just ordered a set of 7" monitors and Non-In Dash DVD. And after the fact I looked at my truck and noticed the headrest poles are solid. How did you guys conceal the wires? Where they go from the headrest to the seat back? I hate anything to be sticking out. I like it to look clean and like it's stock. Any suggestions?
On mine, the wires come out "near" the post, then pull the plastic piece off at the top of the seat and put the wires under the plastic piece and run them out the seat bottom. With the headrests down, you can't see a thing, and even with them up it doesn't look getto getto.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
EZ4U2CHere said:
On mine, the wires come out "near" the post, then pull the plastic piece off at the top of the seat and put the wires under the plastic piece and run them out the seat bottom. With the headrests down, you can't see a thing, and even with them up it doesn't look getto getto.

EZ -
Looks like my headrests are a little different. Mine sit up about an inch to an inch and a half from the top of the seat back. I'll post a pic tomorrow in the morning. Do you have any pics with your headrest up?

·
LPG Hemi
2,785 Posts
At the moment I have the same colour interior as yourself and EZ4U2CHere.
However, I've just taken delivery of a full black leather interior with the red rams head logo in the middle of the front seats and red piped edging.
I've yet to fit these covers, so I'll post pics later when it's finished.
The link to the e-bay items I bought is below.
They are 9 inch TFT monitors which can display the 16:9 formats.
They are in black leather/leather look material and are quite substantial.
The chrome headrest poles can be wiggled apart to adjust for width, so you get a perfect fit in the seat.
They are excellant quality and arrived super fast.
Here's the link.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Headrest-TFT-...0374662QQihZ017QQcategoryZ32826QQcmdZViewItem

If you scroll to the bottom of the page on his advert, you can see where the cable exits out of the poles.
Also, he has them in the same colour as our a pillars and plastic trim pieces, the light grey.
This might match your interior better than the black I chose.
If you want pics of any pics of these monitors other than the e-bay pics let me know?
Hope this helps you?
Al.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Al -
Those are cool looking headrests that you bought. Unfortunately for me it doesn't look like the gray will match my interior. Thanks for posting the link though.

Also Al & EZ here are the pics I said I'd post. They're not the best pics but it gives you an idea of what I'm talking about with the headrest "spacer".

Attachments

·
LPG Hemi
2,785 Posts
You can ask them for the Black as I did larbud.
BTW your seats are class!!

Al.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.