Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
BACK STORY
So ive got 1994 Ram 1500 4x4. Had a 318 with nearly 300,000 miles, replaced it with a 318,000 that had 160,000. About 2 months ago it started missing. So i began researching the problem. Landed on intake manifold gasket. Replaced it with the Hugh's plate set about 4 weeks ago. Replaced plugs, wires, rotor, and cap. Then about 10 days ago I checked my oil and BAM, creamy white... So a leaking, not blown, head gasket I thought. Please correct me if im wrong about those two being different.

So my questions are
1.Can I reuse the intake bolts since they are barely a month old ?
2.Can I use the heads off the old 318 without having them milled?
3.Can I reuse the heads off the current engine without getting them milled?

Thanks !

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
i'd say yes on the intake bolts, if they arent torque to yield bolts (which i highly doubt bolts that small are torque to yield)

you can reuse the heads without having them milled. but that depends if they were overheated, warped, or just plain wavy.

i would go with the set that has the flattest surface and have them milled as little as possible. or you could possibly look into slightly thicker head gaskets and getting the heads milled to correct any imperfections. or just get slightly thicker head gaskets and not mill the imperfections and hope it seals

by the way, stock magnum heads are known for cracks between the exhaust and intake valve seats. i would get both sets inspected and figure out which set is in better condition

i would guess the heads with 300,000 will have the cracks in them.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
dont trust the oe heads. have them looked at.
toss the intake TTY bolts. just use run of the mill grade 8s.
you may reuse the head bolts but if it were me, i would snap up a set of ARPs.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
BACK STORY
So ive got 1994 Ram 1500 4x4. Had a 318 with nearly 300,000 miles, replaced it with a 318,000 that had 160,000.
Landed on intake manifold gasket. Replaced it with the Hugh's plate set about 4 weeks ago. Replaced plugs, wires, rotor, and cap.

Then about 10 days ago I checked my oil and BAM, creamy white.
.. So a leaking, not blown, head gasket I thought. Please correct me if im wrong about those two being different.

So my questions are
1.Can I reuse the intake bolts since they are barely a month old ?
2.Can I use the heads off the old 318 without having them milled?
3.Can I reuse the heads off the current engine without getting them milled?
"Creamy white"; is engine running too cold, and/or had done short trips? (coolant in crankcase when it's fully warmed up, will have the water boiled off leaving only the anti-freeze in the oil; meaning, often no creamy white unless leak was sudden/severe, and/or crankcase was not hot enough to boil it off). ... Can you see/taste it (sweet) on the dip stick?
... "Determine" if cream is just condensation, or destructive coolant (anti-freeze).
... Was not mentioned if it lost/used coolant, and/or pushed too much of it back into reservoir.

... Leaking versus blown h-gasket: generically/usually means slow/slight leak of coolant versus sudden/severe loss of compression; both can be many different ways/directions.
... If failure is at #7 cyl, watch for other signs of DESTRUCTIVE "crossfire induced" detonation!!! ... To help avoid it, pay extra attn to wires 5 and 7 in this link

http://dodgeram.info/tsb/1998/18-48-98/18-48-98-v8.htm

1.As said by others, "DO NOT reuse TTY bolts"; although now you really have nothing to lose by "gently/lightly" rechecking them, I would.
... I'm assuming you have the correct "tightening order".
2.As said by others, have them checked!! ... Even if straight/no cracks, would not install heads with 300,000 on seats/valves/guides, but that's just me.
3.As said by others, need to be checked!! Depending what you do/don't find on tear down, maybe pressure tested too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.