DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So when my pads started grinding down on the rotors a few nights ago, I knew my pads were shot. So earlier I bought some new pads (not sure on the brand, AdvanceAutoParts site is down), and began ripping the old off, and replacing with the new. Well, it seems my rotors are also shot, with several cracks leading from the holes in the rotors to the outer edges, not many, maybe 6-8 total cracks, but something I want to quickly fix in the coming weeks.

So after 30,000 miles do you guys think I got my money's worth out of my Powerslot and Hawk pads?

Since I've had them the rotors have never warped, and the braking has been incredible! But for the overall price to replace, should I buy another set of Powerslot rotors or???

·
Registered
5 Posts
You shouldn't get drilled rotors, they don't help performance and they tend to crack...

Hawk HPS pads are my common pad, with abou 20-35K miles per set.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Powerslot does not make drilled rotors. What brand are they or where dod you get them?

·
Todd O
933 Posts
Bendix makes cross drilled and slotted rotors for durangos that you can buy at advance. By the way I have had mine for like two years and they are fine and have never cracked. Also check out the bendix titanium metallic brake pads. I have those also and have not had any problems with them!

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
Monster:

Um, the slotted or drilled rotors are needed for racing, but for real world applications, a thicker or bigger (larger dia) rotor is, IMHO, the better way to go. Yes race vehicles generate more heat as they generally go faster, but lets be honest, they're usually driving on groomed roadways. those vehicles would generally fall apart driving on what we drive on.

Ever see a pothole on a race track? How bout raliroad tracks? If one of them went over a curb, they'd be totaled. As nice as we'd like our vehicles to be, in most cases, ya wouldn't see em IN shows, & if they were, we'd be towin em there.

I had to replace my rotors & pads & calipers at 14 or 16K. I went with a little bigger with all the new stuff, heavier duty. I got the Hawk pads, but frankly, they make to much noise for my liking. They're squeakers. Makes ya wonder if they're failing to fast. Yeah, my braking is better, & my pedal ain't as mushy as stock now, but they DO leave a lot of dust too. Bout the same as the stock pads. IMHO, they ain't worth the cost.

Years ago, everyone with D's were talking about how great the slotted/drilled rotors were, along with the Hawk pads. As I started looking into it, I started hearing about the potential of failure of the rotors as where they're slotted or drilled, it creates weak points. Makes sense, & hearin about what you saw, I'm glad I didn't do it myself. Good Luck.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I am going to agree with UGG on this one. You want a nice meaty rotor with a Durango, especially if you pull a trailer. Yeah drilled and slotted rotors are cool, but IMO useless on a SUV unless it is a show vehicle. If you are worried about brake dust on your rims, get some of those KLEEN WHEELZ dust shields and install them. I have them on my FRONT wheels.

Kleen Wheelz

·
Registered
226 Posts
Hey Ugg, how are those dust shields working for ya?

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
TheBadazz said:
Hey Ugg, how are those dust shields working for ya?
Yo Badazz:

As the guy said as he fell from the skyscrapper. so far so good. ;) How's it goin on your end? Fun driving on ice rinks huh? :thatfunny I hate drivin in any type of traffic when it snows or ice's as the brain dead morons get even worse. :VHOT:

·
Registered
286 Posts
I Have 22" Rims On My D. So What Rotors And Pads Do You Guys Recomend?

·
Todd O
933 Posts
I would get some rotors and pad like I mentioned before. Some really good pads by the way would be some bendix suv pads that I know you can get at advance auto. By the way cross drilled rotors are not weak and are not prone to break because they are cross drilled. That is such of a myth and pisses me off because people are always spreading rumors with no personal experience themselves to speak of!

·
Todd O
933 Posts
Just like someone said bosch 02 sensors aren't as good as stock...what a bunch of bs.

·
Registered
381 Posts
tosterho said:
Just like someone said bosch 02 sensors aren't as good as stock...what a bunch of bs.

X2 !!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.