DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heres the deal. I figured out i can get Longtube ceramic coated headers/Y pipe/and high flow cat with install to equal the cost of 4.56 gears/master kit/and detroit true trac with install.

Well, I dont do any racing and i know gears would definatley help me out since i have 3.55 gears and 20 inch rims but i also know that headers with a high flow cat would make my exhaust with my Hemi , e-cutout, and AT3030 muffler sound real mean PLUS give me some more power.

Since i have 3.55 gears, going from 3rd to 4th gear is sluggish and the 4.56 would iron that all out for me but they just dont have the secondary benefit like the headers with the new exhaust sound as well, because i know that headers with an open cutout can kill alot of people and that makes me happy. :rck:
I guess im leaning towards headers but gears keep popping up in my brain as well.

What would you guys do?

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Tough call! both are awesome mods. do the gears and kill-em with squalling tires :D

·
Ramistered User
6,419 Posts
I vote gears first.

·
Inertia ROCKS!!!!
12,164 Posts
Depends on what your future plans are for the truck. If you are just going to do simple bolt-ons, no heads or cam, then I would get the gears. If you're planning one day to get heads/cam then you will have to do headers. You will see more of a performance gain with the gears no doubt......

·
Registered
296 Posts
why not compromise get part of your exhaust system and rear differential now. and the other half later. ha thats probably what i would do because i hate split decisions

·
Once and future owner
3,061 Posts
I got more bang for the buck with 4.56's compared to the Dynatech LT's I had on my old 04.

·
Toothy Critters Rock!
7,238 Posts
gears and limited slip.

·
Registered
599 Posts
You could put a cut out on the exhaust you have now and have it loud any time you want plus get the gears, best of both worlds. Then later do the headers and exhaust upgrade.

I did gears, then headers (already had loud exhaust). Each made a dramatic improvement in take off and over all feel of power.

IMO if your not racing, putting in the detroit is just spending money. Pull the clips on your LSD and just change out the gears. Many on here, including myself are running the original LSD with 4.56 and they work just fine.

·
Trucks Rule
490 Posts
gears

·
Inertia ROCKS!!!!
12,164 Posts
IMO if your not racing, putting in the detroit is just spending money. Pull the clips on your LSD and just change out the gears. Many on here, including myself are running the original LSD with 4.56 and they work just fine.
I'm still running the stock LSD with probably over 200 trips down the dragstrip. I can see by the wear on my DR's that I would benefit from a new LSD, Detroit would be my LSD of choice. But the factory stuff is still producing results.....

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
I'm still running the stock LSD with probably over 200 trips down the dragstrip. I can see by the wear on my DR's that I would benefit from a new LSD, Detroit would be my LSD of choice. But the factory stuff is still producing results.....
that's actually good to know lol...that saves a loooot of money haha

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i dont think i have a factory limited slip, only 1 tire spins i believe, but if 4.56 gears are still ok with just power to one tire then i'll do gears, its not like i do burn outs all day so im not too worried about that one tire getting bald...as long as 4.56s' dont make normal take offs too powerful for 1 tire.

·
Inertia ROCKS!!!!
12,164 Posts
i dont think i have a factory limited slip, only 1 tire spins i believe, but if 4.56 gears are still ok with just power to one tire then i'll do gears, its not like i do burn outs all day so im not too worried about that one tire getting bald...as long as 4.56s' dont make normal take offs too powerful for 1 tire.
You would easily light up one tire with 4.56 gears, unless you got a crapload of weight or an underpowered truck.

·
I RECOMMEND FUKKEN WAX
13,989 Posts
gears

·
Once and future owner
3,061 Posts
If you're going that far then you might save up a little more and get an Auburn LSD or a Detroit True Trac. One-wheel burnouts are not good on the center pin in the rear diff. Slammed1 and I had to cut mine in half in order to get it out so the whole diff would come out of the housing when we did the gear change in my old 04.

·
Registered
599 Posts
If you don't have LSD now, you'll be lucky to get the thing to move with 4.56's. Definitely need LSD!
My truck will spin the tires at will on dry pavement with the factory LSD and 4.56. I have to be careful on a wet road!:crazy:

The gears are definitely a major fun factor. I had the pinion bearing go out on mine a couple months after the install (just a freak thing?) but I would never change it back to stock gear ratio, ever!

·
Toothy Critters Rock!
7,238 Posts
No it's a real mild difference at least 3.92 to 4.56. More noticeable as much more response to light throttle but it's not like high multiplier high stall TC or something where it can be hard not to spin tires.
If you don't have limited slip I'd suggest getting one maybe find a lightly used stock that you can pick up cheap.
You have to take the diff out anyway when you do the gears so there wouldn't be much if any extra labor swapping in an lsd.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I was real hapy when I swaped to 456's from 392's but the lsd is a for sure haveto.
I happen to know where you can pick up a stock lsd w/ low miles pretty cheap...hehe.
But if your interested in a good permanant foundation for future mods , go gears first!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.