Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I've got 2 problems.

When I wash my car, the water gets in the hatch seals. Then, when I open up the hatch, all that damn water leaks all over the sides of my car. I finally had it. Before I wash my car, I stuff small bits of a rag in the ends. Bingo! That did the trick. I just have to remember to take them out.

Then, if you look at the very top of the back glass near what I'd call a spoiler, under it is a super sticky black seal of some kind. At first, I thought this was some kind of garbage hanging to my glass, so, I tugged at it. This was not the smartest thing I've done. I snapped off about 1" of it and then realized what it was. At that point, I tried to stuff it back up in the seal. This left the nasty, ugly, super sticky junk all over my back window. Ugh! I still haven't gotten it all off yet. And now, I'm concerned that I may have ruined that seal. I'm still wondering what that seals.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
82 Posts
My hatch seal is all jacked up, there are 3 - 4 gaps in it. I took it to the dealer and there were fastners missing so they replaced them but the damage had already been done. The Texas sun warped the seal so the gaps are still there. Just had the dealer order the part. Hopefully this will fix it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
American Muscle said:
My hatch seal is all jacked up, there are 3 - 4 gaps in it. I took it to the dealer and there were fastners missing so they replaced them but the damage had already been done. The Texas sun warped the seal so the gaps are still there. Just had the dealer order the part. Hopefully this will fix it.
I am in Arlington, What dealership did you take it to? Any luck with them?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Dallas Dodge, have not had a chance to take it back yet so I will keep you posted.

·
Hemi Driving Pastor!
67 Posts
The stuff that is coming out appears to be the gray weatherstripping stuff. I have it coming out of mine too on a weekly basis, and I did the same thing you did and pulled off a chunk of it. Next time I am in the dealership, I will ask them to take it apart and see where it is coming from and what its original purpose is/was. I have the same goo on my frame too. At this rate, there won't be any left in there by the time I get to the dealer.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Padre Dave said:
The stuff that is coming out appears to be the gray weatherstripping stuff. I have it coming out of mine too on a weekly basis, and I did the same thing you did and pulled off a chunk of it. Next time I am in the dealership, I will ask them to take it apart and see where it is coming from and what its original purpose is/was. I have the same goo on my frame too. At this rate, there won't be any left in there by the time I get to the dealer.
Phew! I thought that I was the only one with that problem.

·
Registered
403 Posts
LAQUER THINNER WILL CLEAN UP THE STICK STUFF, i'd scream at the dealer about the seal issue and not mention that you pulled on it . it's a brand new car shouldn't have to deal with these problems .

·
Registered
401 Posts
YOu know whats funny, I took mine in for that, and no less than 2 weeks later the 'seal' is coming up and showing in 3 places. Now I have to take it in again....

BTW they fixed mine for free when I brought it in.

·
Registered
11 Posts
American Muscle and all,
I noticed that the middle of my hatch seal where the two hinges are have major dips in them. If you look at the top of the Magnum with the hatch closed you can see the gasket warped in two places in the middle. I thought it was designed like this but I guess not! Was yours warped in the middle too? B/C when I open the hatch after washing or after it rained, I also get the water into my cargo area and all over each sides of my rear quarters!

Thanks,
Phil

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hmmm ... so it seems that I don't have a unique problem after all. I wonder if there are any recalls on this?

·
06MAGRT
44 Posts
my dealer forgot to remove the clear film tape at the bottom of the gate / hatch near the latch. Have a look at the bottom of your hatch and if you see clear tape covering holes, remove it so the drain holes are not covered. For the first couple days before I realized this my gate was filling up with water and when I opened it it drained through the top all over the place.

Could solve your problem....

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have the plastic coming out of the rear spoiler as well. I figure I'll get the dealer to fix it next time I'm in.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Man, you guys go pointing out something wrong with your rides and the first thing I do is go out and inspect my ride. I'll be damned if I don't have that same crap peeking out from behind the totally inadequite spoiler. Just one more thing for the dealer to fix along with my seal.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Is is just my Magnum or does the weatherstripping at the top of the hatch where it meets the roof right smack in the middle have two major indentations where it sags?? If you look with the hatch closed I can see these two dips (is it just mine and something is wrong or does other people have this problem. I too have the water drip issue when I open the hatch and was wondering if this is the cause. I'm bringing mine to the dealer b/c my high speed balance (70+) is off, I have the vibrating steering wheel. I checked my tire pressure and they all read 30 psi. and I'll point this out as well if needed.
BTW I have the 18" continentals and heard of all the horror stories about them, so I'd like to nip the alignment issue as soon as possible.

Thanks again,
Phil

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
phil056 said:
I'm bringing mine to the dealer b/c my high speed balance (70+) is off, I have the vibrating steering wheel. I checked my tire pressure and they all read 30 psi. and I'll point this out as well if needed.
BTW I have the 18" continentals and heard of all the horror stories about them, so I'd like to nip the alignment issue as soon as possible.

Thanks again,
Phil
On my continentals, the tire pressure (cold) is 50 psi. Better check that pressure again.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I thought that was the pressure on the tire. I'll have to check again when I get home

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.