DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It started a few weeks ago, I noticed when I rev, or in drive and giving her gas the battery gauge would raise like the tac. Then one of my headlights went out, two days later the other(when I was on my way to fix the first, at night of corse)
Then (a few days later)it got cold as crap out and my truck was dead in the morning, I jumped her and she ran and started fine all day, and seemed to hold charge. Next day same thing, had to jump, ran fine. This continued for a week untill it wouldent hold charge for more than 4 hours. Then my wiper motor quit, I got a brand new battery thinking I had a bad cell. The battery has worked and started every time for a week.(the battery gauge read normal the whole time now) I drove it about 25 miles today and everything went dim like the battery drained, then it died on the side of the hwy. with no juice.

Could the alternator be surging my motors, and or keep it running like this?
Is it the REGULATOR? If so how hard is that to change?(the book is in the truck, at my buddys house)
Anyone have anything like this happen?

THANKS IN ADVANCE

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
It does sound like a regulator issue. You could confirm this with a voltmeter--if it reads over 15v that would most likely be the problem.

Very easy to replace. It's that silver thing mounted on the firewall behind the motor. Buy a quality replacement...Standard Motor Products brand (I believe these are also sold under the "CarQuest" brand) or Echlin from NAPA would be smart choices. Expect to pay about $30-40.

The metal body of the regulator needs to be well-grounded. Take a wire wheel on the end of drill, or a piece of emery cloth, and clean up the metal around both mounting holes on the firewall until it's shiny and clean. If the mounting bolts are at all rusty/dirty, clean them up or just buy new ones. If you live in a very rust-prone environment, like me, put a thin coat of dielectric grease on the areas around the firewall mounting holes you just cleaned up.

Even better, if you don't have one (my truck didn't when I bought it and I ran it that way for ten years), install a grounding strap between the block and the regulator (and make sure your alternator and battery are both grounded to the motor with clean, tight, non-corroded connections). I use a thick braided uninsulated strap on mine. That way all three key charging components--the alternator, the battery, and the regulator--have a direct ground connection to the engine block.

It also is a good idea to pack the connector socket with dielectric grease--and make sure the connector on the wiring harness that plugs in there is clean.

That's all there is to it...I would guess you'll fix the problem with a new regulator. They do go out from time to time. The last one I put in my truck (AC Delco brand) lasted only about a year.

If the problems continue, start testing the alternator...

·
Aka Force Fed Mopar
6,120 Posts
Could be a bad firewall connection also (in the main harness bulkhead connector).

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sure enough, i get to the truck and the old Volt regulator is being held on by one bolt...which has probably come loose. It took two min. and a jumpstart to replace it. Drove fine all the way home, took it to advanced to get a alternater test, everything tested fine...

Thanks Megunticook for saving me some time and money!!!
(thank you too Speed Dragon!)

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Glad it was so easy.

To keep those bolts from working loose in the future, be sure to use some star washers under the heads--I use the kind with the internal teeth, but the external would probably also work.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.