DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
what's your left leg doin
2,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got an airaid Modular Intake Tube on my Ram.
For a while (year?) I had replaced the (airbox) coupler with a smooth 3" plumbing quik-connect.
I had no problems with it, but I knew I would be towing a trailer this past summer and was worried about the engine constantly tourqing against it under load.
So I put the airaid coupler back on since it has a flex-joint.

I want to put the smoother coupler back on, but want to know if I'm pushing my luck??
The intake manifold being plastic and all has me a lil' skeered....... :help:

·
Registered
23,005 Posts
I need some pics to fully understand what your asking. Here is a pic of my engine bay with my homebrew setup. I know I have a bit more hp/tq than you do and have had absolutely zero issues thus far. I was concerned at first that I mave a problem with the rubber elbow collapsing on itself, but no issues at all. As a matter of fact I plan to step up to a 4" set-up when I find the time.

KB

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
the filter box is on rubber mounts and will move some so you should have no problems.

·
2,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
stinger1- That is what I was thinking too, but was not sure if that was enough flex/give.
Keep in mind I have a manual tranny....WOT shifts make for a bit of a jolt.....

KB112- here are some pics.
Basically, my tube is all one piece and does not have a flexible elbow like yours does.

Here is a pic of it before I insulated it.

And here is a pic of it (insulated) with the smooth coulper instead of the flex-coupler.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Years ago my Buddy had a Z 28 that if you flat shifted 2nd the engine would raise just enough for the distributor to touch the fire wall, tilt the cap and break the rotor, fixed the problem by putting a piece of chain from the though bolt of the left motor mount to one of the motor mount bolts on the engine side. Just a thought.

·
2,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
dang!....now that is some tourque!

·
Registered
23,005 Posts
Yeah, your MIT tube isn't going to give you any issues Bro. I know guys running that same setup with like 100hp more than me. No problems whatsoever. :tup:

KB

·
2,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just wanted to say......that I should never have tried that smooth un-flexible coupler....
Turns out I ended up with a warped intake manifold.........Live-and-learn......

·
Registered
314 Posts
that explains what happened to the coupler that came with my afe stage 2 high breather intake. i was looking things over a while back because things didnt quite feel right and my coupler had a huge tear right down the middle. i have no idea how long it was like that. anyway i got a rubber boot for connecting pvc pipe from home depot. i think it was 3.5-4.5 and it worked like a charm. has yet to fail on me.

·
2,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ttuguy1983 said:
that explains what happened to the coupler that came with my afe stage 2 high breather intake. i was looking things over a while back because things didnt quite feel right and my coupler had a huge tear right down the middle. i have no idea how long it was like that. anyway i got a rubber boot for connecting pvc pipe from home depot. i think it was 3.5-4.5 and it worked like a charm. has yet to fail on me.
Thats what I was using......although it sounds like you have a reducer (3" to 4") and those do have some flex.........I was using 3" to 3".....no flexibility.

·
Registered
314 Posts
stickshiftsrule said:
Thats what I was using......although it sounds like you have a reducer (3" to 4") and those do have some flex.........I was using 3" to 3".....no flexibility.

yeah the crap coupler that came with the intake was very thin and i believe it was 3.5, 3.5.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.