DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here owned a Dakota 4x4 with a 5.2 and traded it or later bought a Dakota 4x4 with a 4.7 both with Automatics?
The reason I ask is would you give me what you liked or didn't like in comparing the two. Gas Mileage, power, maintenance, etc. :dtrocks:

·
Private Assasin
1,198 Posts
Owned both motors...

Power specs are nearly the same, although the 4.7L winds up faster so it "feels" like it has more power, and it's much smoother.

4.7L also gets better mileage "in most cases".

·
Quadder
433 Posts
5.2 to 4.7

I owned a 96 Dakota RC 4x4 with the 5.2 and the automatic. It had alot of miles on it but was babied by the first owner. I was quick. I think It had the 3.55 gears. It had a tad more off idle torque but really fell off in power over 4500 rpms. My 2002 QC 4.7 4x4 auto feels more efficient and stronger in the midrange and top end. Plus the new auto trans is really nice.

The 5.2/318 used more gas but felt more like a truck V8, torquey and grunty. The 4.7 feels like a performance engine from a sports car.

Go with the 4.7

reason #1
The new automatic design
Overhead cams are inherently more efficient.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I didn't have 4x4 autos as you can see in my sig but I did have both motors. The 5.2L has a ton more torque stock, has a lot more performance upgrades available, and is easier to work on if you plan to do some mods to it. The 4.7L has its good points though. Milage is consistently 1-2 MPG better, and the '03 4.7L is 300 lbs hevier than the '94 5.2L. The Auto Trans the 4.7L is mated to is bulletproof compared to the 5.2L auto. My '03 4.7L is very quick and nice but the '94 was an animal. At the dragstrip the 5.2L was a couple of MPH faster in the 1/4 mile as well, before the mods.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had a 4.7 in an 02 Dakota 4x4, 3:55 gears with an automatic and I would only avg around 16-17 MPG. With that 3sp with overdrive tranny it seemed to lack torque. Did the 03 or 04 with the 4 speed with overdrive fair better and did it do better gas mileage?
Thanks

·
Registered
270 Posts
I haven't owned either, but have drven both and heard from many owners on this subject. The 5.2 is torquier off-idle, basically a nicer powerband to work with around town. The 4.7 is smoother, more fuel-efficient, and has about the same HP, but a little less peak torque and a peakier powerband, IMHO better suited to a manual tranny than an automatic. Really it's up to you since they both have their good and bad points that tend to balance each other out. Myself, I'd go with the 318 for the low-revving quality to it, but if the revvier engine suits you better, than go for it! From what I've heard it's a good engine all around in its own right.

·
Quadder
433 Posts
pound for pound the 4.7 has to be more efficient just from the advances in design and engine technology alone. Tough comparison though. I agree the 4.7 would be more usable with a manual tranny, although the automatic is very good so far

·
Private Assasin
1,198 Posts
well, the 2008 4.7L is rated at 290hp & 325ft/lbs...I'd say that's a VERY healthy little smallblock.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
I've driven both. IMO ther 4.7 is a lot more powerful than the 318 and gets much better mileage. On top of that, the auto tranny is nearly bulletproof compared to the older tranny. I remember the mag's doing their tests and a 2wd 4.7 was as fast as the 5.9 R/T they tested the year before. Now if you plan on modding the motor a lot, then go with the 5.2 as it has almost 30 years of aftermarket support behind it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.