DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've left several voice mail messages on his phone earlier this week, followed up by more phone calls. Now his mailbox is full and won't take any messages.

I'm just trying to get a replacement spindle and brackets to replace the broken one on my front Viper brake kit. After waiting a month he said it would be ready on Monday, but I have not heard back from him.

Does anyone know of if he is in town?

Thanks

Mark
 

·
Keystoner
Joined
·
5,534 Posts
i haven't heard from him, but how did you break your stuff?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
rockadaous said:
i haven't heard from him, but how did you break your stuff?
Rock,

The short story is that the bolts he used to mount the caliper bracket to the modified spindle are too small in my opinion.

The first time I had trouble the case hardened grade 8 bolts just came loose and fell out. The caliper flopped around and chewed up the rotor. So I put in new bolts and used locktite. This time the bolts just snapped off. With case hardened bolts broken off inside, I was unable to cleanly drill them all out. So I am using only two out of the three bolts needed to hold the brakes together.

Scott was supposed to get me a replacement machined spindle and new brackets. When I spoke to him today he said that the spindles he got back from his machine shop were all machined wrong. Because he has had a hard time getting Durango spindle cores, Scott said he is going to discontinue the Viper Brakes for Durangos. They will still be available for Dakotas.

Scott did offer me one of the improperly machined replacement spindles at no cost, as well as new brackets. I am going to take the replacement spindle and the new brackets and bring them to a machine shop to see if they can make them work.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
243 Posts
I talked to him on Tuesday and got a tracking number for some headers that were supposed to ship that day but apparently didn't because it says it's a non-existant tracking number.
 

·
BORN 1/24/2009 6LBS 14ozs
Joined
·
2,843 Posts
RT Mark said:
The short story is that the bolts he used to mount the caliper bracket to the modified spindle are too small in my opinion.

The first time I had trouble the case hardened grade 8 bolts just came loose and fell out. The caliper flopped around and chewed up the rotor. So I put in new bolts and used locktite. This time the bolts just snapped off. With case hardened bolts broken off inside, I was unable to cleanly drill them all out. So I am using two out of the three bolts needed to hold the brakes together.

Scott was supposed to get me another machined spindle and new brackets. Well he finally called today with bad news. The spindles he had were all machined wrong. Furthermore, with all the problems folks like me are having, he is deciding to discontinue the Viper Brakes for Dakotas and Durangos. So I guess I am out of luck.

I decided to take one of the bad spindles and the new brackets to see if anything can be done to make them work.

This really bites.
Mark,
If you don't mind maybe I can give you a little advice. The hole that the bolt broke off in on you spindle may be repairable. In fact with this method it will be stronger then it was with the original parent material. You can actually fix it yourself. If you never heard of it its called a Helicoil thread repairing kit. Most good autoparts stores sell them or you can definitely find them in a machine shop supply store. You need to know what size bolt was originally there and the thread pitch. Some kits come with the oversize drill you need, tap, thread inserts and installation tool. You may need to purchase a cheap tap wrench. Assuming you have decent wall thickness all you need to do is carefully drill the hole with the oversize drill either with a pistol drill or drill press, thread the hole with the oversize tap, install the new thread insert and you're good to go!! Hope this hepled :D

SQC
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
195 Posts
Hey Mark,

Actually we have only discontinued the Durango setup, the Dakota kit is still Available. This is not due to the problems folks are having its mainly due to the cost of cores and the lack of the core returns and the labor intensive process to get a kit together. I offered you a "free" set replacement of plates and a repcement spindle this is much different than you have worded it in your post...


Scott
 

·
Keystoner
Joined
·
5,534 Posts
RT Mark said:
The short story is that the bolts he used to mount the caliper bracket to the modified spindle are too small in my opinion.

The first time I had trouble the case hardened grade 8 bolts just came loose and fell out. The caliper flopped around and chewed up the rotor. So I put in new bolts and used locktite. This time the bolts just snapped off. With case hardened bolts broken off inside, I was unable to cleanly drill them all out. So I am using two out of the three bolts needed to hold the brakes together.

Scott was supposed to get me another machined spindle and new brackets. Well he finally called today with bad news. The spindles he had were all machined wrong. Furthermore, with all the problems folks like me are having, he is deciding to discontinue the Viper Brakes for Dakotas and Durangos. So I guess I am out of luck.

I decided to take one of the bad spindles and the new brackets to see if anything can be done to make them work.

This really bites.
man that sucks bad.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
q8740 said:
Hey Mark,

Actually we have only discontinued the Durango setup, the Dakota kit is still Available. This is not due to the problems folks are having its mainly due to the cost of cores and the lack of the core returns and the labor intensive process to get a kit together. I offered you a "free" set replacement of plates and a repcement spindle this is much different than you have worded it in your post...


Scott
Scott,

Thanks for pointing out the inaccuracy in my posting. I have changed it to reflect replacement spindle and free bracket.

Mark
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
SHADOW QUAD CAB said:
Mark,
If you don't mind maybe I can give you a little advice. The hole that the bolt broke off in on you spindle may be repairable. In fact with this method it will be stronger then it was with the original parent material. You can actually fix it yourself. If you never heard of it its called a Helicoil thread repairing kit. Most good autoparts stores sell them or you can definitely find them in a machine shop supply store. You need to know what size bolt was originally there and the thread pitch. Some kits come with the oversize drill you need, tap, thread inserts and installation tool. You may need to purchase a cheap tap wrench. Assuming you have decent wall thickness all you need to do is carefully drill the hole with the oversize drill either with a pistol drill or drill press, thread the hole with the oversize tap, install the new thread insert and you're good to go!! Hope this hepled :D

SQC

SQC,

Thanks for the tip.

What you explained was what I had hoped to do. I was able to drill into the broken bolt. Then I inserted an EZ out and tried to back the bolt out. However since the bolt was held on with locktite it would not budge. So I heated it up and it still would not budge. Then the EZ out broke off inside the broken bolt inside the spindle.

Further attempts to redrill it only caused the drill bit to "walk" all over the area and butcher up the spindle.

I was lucky on the other two holes because I was able to get the broken bolts out. So I drilled the holes out even larger and went with much larger bolts. I am hoping that these larger bolts will not break off.

Mark
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top