DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
1977 Power Wagon Utiline
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The reason I ask is I've had my 77 for several years now and the old 318 is worn out. I recently obtained a 5.9 Magnum :rck: now I know its the same 360 / 5.9 block its always been but I'm concerned about the heads and top end. The 5.9 is a long block and I have all new parts for the pre-92 external balance 360/318 (i.e. intake, headers, oil pan, etc.). The items that I know without a doubt that there is no interchange luckily I hadn't bought yet. So here are my concerns :help: :

1) What kind of harmonic balancer do I need to get for the 5.9 or do I even need to?

2) What kind of torque convertor to get that will match up between the 5.9 and my TF727?

3) Will the top end parts (i.e. intake, headers, etc.) I already have fit the new power plant?

4) Since I'm going from a 318 to a 5.9/360 do I need different mount brackets?

If I missed anything that I shouldn't have please let me know.

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
It's either the right or left mount bracket that's different between a 318 and a 360. You'll find out which one when you go to bolt them to the engine. Whatever one it is, this is an easy junkyard score.

Intake won't work, but the headers will. Mopar makes Magnum style intake manifolds for 4bbl. carbs.

You will need a 360 Harmonic balancer and a 360 torque converter and just to let you know, the Magnum timing cover and water pump are unique to Magnum engines.

·
Aka Force Fed Mopar
6,120 Posts
Well if he has a complete engine, he won't need to get a harmonic balancer, he'll just need a 360 torque converter for his tranny.

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
Speed Dragon said:
Well if he has a complete engine, he won't need to get a harmonic balancer, he'll just need a 360 torque converter for his tranny.

True dat!

·
4 Wheel Power Disc Brakes
5,828 Posts
The magnum engine balance is different than that of a non-magnum 360 (5.9). the torque convertor will need to match.
Also there is no fuel pump provision on the magnum front cover, and if you want to run a mechanical pump it would require a change of the cover, water pump and camshaft so an ecentric can be mounted on the camshaft nose.
If the mounts are similar to an A or B van a triangle can be cut off one edge and welded to the edge that is lacking as an alternative.
Another bracket to check is the length of the engine to transmission brace(s). This did changed on the 360's at sometime in the 70's.
--B-300--

·
1977 Power Wagon Utiline
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update!!!

The Magnum has arrived and so has everything else that I needed to get it assembled and stuffed :rck:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.