DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you that have a hard tonneau...

How difficult is it to remove when you need an open bed?
How long does it take?
How cumbersome is it to move?
How hard is it to put back on?

I currently have a soft tonneau, but want the security
of a hard tonneau. I just need to know about the ability
to remove and re-install it since I have been needing an
open bed about 2-3 times a month. I also keep my truck
outside (garage is full!) and the rain will tend to puddle
on the soft tonneau if I don't park it on a slope.

·
Registered
23,005 Posts
Some are easier and lighter than others. Like the one chefred has, that is light and easy for him to remove. I forgot his brand though, plus it looks nice. The one uncbob has is supposed to be easy to remove too. Man, I am drawing blanks on names of products today though!

KB

·
nick
390 Posts
mines really easy to remove. just pop the two struts loose and tilt it forward lift off. only weighs about 30lbs.

Attachments

·
Registered
23,005 Posts
Checkmate or checkerpro...you and Bob have the one I was speaking of. :)

KB

·
Registered
525 Posts
h2omelon, what brand is that? That's the one I want! Since it's a flush mount with the bed rails, do you ever have any leaking?

·
Registered
23,005 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
OK, I may not be the sharpest pencil in the box.

Thanks for the link. Still curious about the leaking issue. They are really inexpensive so I'd like to hear from others as to what they feel about the quality.

Looks great though, exactly what I want.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've also have the ARE LSII on my SB. It is heavier than the old ARE I had on my LB '99 Ram, because of the carpet that is under the lower fiberglass part of the cover. It's definately a 2 man operation.

If you remove it, be sure to mark the places where the original rail tabs were located with pieces of tap on the inside of the rail. That will really help with reinstallation later. From beginning to end it took my buddy and I about 45 minutes to take it off, and about 60 minutes to put it back on. I didn't have any leaks before and no leaks after... The ARE is very nice and sturdy, with decent seals.

Chuck

·
nick
390 Posts
it will leak a little in an automatic car wash but not enough to hurt anything in the bed. the only place it leaks then is around the hinges up front but very little. ive had one of these on every truck ive owned.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Like The Inovations

360Plus:

I like the look of the spoiler on the back of the Inovations. Where did you find it and about how much can I expect to pay?

FastEd1500:
I also like the SnugLid, but the closest dealer is 700+ miles away.

How many of you guys opted for the rug liner on the tonneau? If you did, did you also go with a BedRug for the bed?

·
Registered
890 Posts
I have a Gaylords X2000. It's probably one of the easiest fiberglass covers to take off and put on, with just two thumb-nuts. Takes a couple minutes to remove, and a few minutes to put back on (you have to line it out by "feel").

But, it takes two people.

Honestly, if I had to take my cover off even once a month I wouldn't go with a fiberglass cover.

·
United States Navy
230 Posts
If your in and out of the bed that much, you might look into a folding or a rolling one. You will have the hard and locking cover without the hassle of removing it everytime and buying someone beer to help you.

Most dont like the rolling ones because of the big box upfront. Mine is a folding one from Peragon made from aircraft aluminum. It's not flush like you mentioned, but it doesn't ride high at all, very sleek. Folds up to the front of the bed accordian style. They are on sale right now for $500. very little water leaks in from the sides, but I keep a large plastic box in the back from wal-mart to keep things in.

If you need the extra space in the front of the bed, pull a spring loaded pin and pull the cover out, only weighs about 60lbs. Just another option for you.

www.peragon.com

Attachments

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
TexasAxMan said:
OK, I may not be the sharpest pencil in the box.

Thanks for the link. Still curious about the leaking issue. They are really inexpensive so I'd like to hear from others as to what they feel about the quality.

Looks great though, exactly what I want.
Takes alot of prep and painting so inexpensive is relative

Between the two coats of primer --a coat of body color--then filling in pin holes --another coat of body color --and clear coat it cost me $575 for painting adding $125 shipping costs and total was $ 1075

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
MD_RAM said:
How many of you guys opted for the rug liner on the tonneau? If you did, did you also go with a BedRug for the bed?
Yes to both

·
Registered
998 Posts
if you get a hard cover you arent going to want to be removing it very often. very heavy and awkward to carry around and you gotta be ver ycareful how and where you store it so you dont mess up the finnish. and then trying to line it up just right to put it back on the bed you dont want to scratch up your bed or the cover. just make sure you have someone helping you that cares about your truck just as much as you do

·
Registered
26 Posts
i also have the x2000. removal is easy with 2 people. placing it back is a bit more complicated, but still only takes a few minutes. It comes wiht the carpet under it and i installed the bedrug in the truck. all looks cool.

steve k.

·
Now Hemiplus
1,835 Posts
Innovations is a very small company out of California. It cost around $1300 with all the options before shipping. The bottom is lined with carpet. I also have a bedrug which is just awesome.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.