DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey gang, is it common on older Dodges, for it to become difficult to turn the ignition key?? I've squirted some WD 40 in there, and around the outside with no luck. I have to be cautious when starting as the starter will stay enegaged. Should I try pulling the tumbler and try to loosen up that way, or should I just replace with new??

This is on my '82 Maxi.

· Banned
3,118 Posts
The problem might not be the ignition lock, but rather the switch behind it. You'll have to pop the lock out and try turning the switch with a screwdriver to know for sure.

· Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This will have to wait until next week, as I'm preparing for a 2 day trip from Ontario, Canada, to Pennsylvania, USA. I have a gaggle of van parts I'm picking up.

· Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, it is the electric part of the ignition switch. I wonder how hard it will be to replace this, being an '82 and all. I also am going to try taking it apart, as I see it is just clipped together. Maybe I can still save this one.

· Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, all better. I took the switch apart, lubed it up with di-electric grease, and re-installed it today. Works much better, not perfect though. It will do until spring, when I will likely replace it.

· Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wouldn't quite say easy, as i forgot how the whole thing went back together. After alot of cursing and swearing, and putting together and taking apart, my memory kicked in, and I recalled how it should be. Fourth times a charm...lol

· Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It may have worked. Problem was I forgot the steering shaft was spring loaded. And I was putting the c-clip in the wrong location, because of this. Once I remembered, I put the steering wheel nut on, with a pair of vise grips, and pulled the shaft outward, so I could re-install the c-clip in the correct location.

· Registered
111 Posts
i say forget the damn key get a damn push button! nobody finna steal a damn van speciallya dodge!!! So anybody had the issue where you pull the key out when the things started?????? how bout where you can start it without the key period. I got a dead alternator bout how long a junker 100 amp run me and stay runnin?? Wait till i get my black b250 runnin proper show you how a " niggahick do da damn thaaaang" big black b250 yeahhh yaaaall!! got a fiteen a couple twelves and duece tenns!!!how bout it lol i need a hundered or more amp alternator for cheap? and bein a unibody frame how you deal with rust holes period anywhere???? Whats a good welder to have?? What kind of steel too???

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.