DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1996 1500 Ram with the 5.9. For the last 8 months or so, I have noticed that when I go to start it in the morning or if it has sat for an hour or longer, that it takes longer to start. It cranks just fine, but won't fire right way, and sometimes it won't fire until I let off the starter. I have replace plugs, wires, cap, and rotor. I have also replaced the crank sensor, as i had a code in the computer that was showing up for that. Any thoughts? Was thinking maybe fuel pump, but if I turn the key to the ON position and leave it for, say 20 secs, and then crank, it doesn't seem to make a difference. Once running, it runs strong, and will start up again just great. Has anyone else had this similar problem?

Thanks

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
Could be the fuel pressure regulator allowing the fuel pressure to bleed off too quickly.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Guys... I will run and have the battery tested. If that checks out fine, is there a way to test the fuel pressure regulator?? Or is it just replace it and see if it makes a difference?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm having the same identical hard start problem also... I, like you tried cap rotor plugs, coil, no codes... new battery, I don't know... but it is exactly what you said.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Its got to be the fuel pump. If it doesn`t start the first time, let the key back up then try. Bet it starts right up.

·
Registered
9 Posts
once you crank it till it gains some oil pressure, she'll fire... I know that the fuel pump runs thru the oil press unit, so That's what I'm leaning toward (a weak pump)... I'm going tomorrow to get a fuel pressure guage so I can test the pressure on the 1st crank of the day. I hear the pump humm when you first turn the key on then it quits after the 2 sec cycle. So, the relay is doing it's job, so, I think that the pump may be weak... It started something new today, cutting back on power intermittently...like it loses fuel...

·
hot2k1ram
756 Posts
u may have just got some dirty gas and the sock on your pump is clogged, though i havent experienced the problem with my truck, although, try running an injector cleaner through the system as well, see how it goes

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Let me know what your gauge reads. How can you test the pressure? Where do you hook it up at?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ok guys,... I think I'm on track here... Bought a pressure guage and heres what I found...Engine running I have 40psi..... now.....after it sets for a half hour or longer, on initial key on, the fuel pump runs 1 second or less, and builds only 5 to 10psi (guess what....hard start) AH HA !!! tested the relays, both fuel pump and ASD, both are good, getting signals, current and grounds where they are supposed to be, and if I ground the relays while plugged in, causing them to let the current flow, fuel pump runs and builds 40psi.... Now, the only thing I can think of that would control the amount of time the relays are energized is the underhood control module. also today it kept dropping 1 cylinder, so I'm figuring the computer is not firing 1 of the injectors intermittently when it's supposed to be... maybe the injector driver inside of it is shot. Starting to sound like bad computer... You guys think I'm on it here?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.