DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm going too go look at a 2001 Ram 1500 4x4. Price is right, truck is rusty and about 150,000 miles. It's a regular cab, base model, long bed. Owner says it shifts hard but seems okay once up to speed. I've no experience with the 46RE, as my 2001 QC is a 5 speed. I'm thinking a rebuild will be in order, is this a transmission one can rebuild at home, or should I take it to a shop?

Been reading a bit, looking at some upgrades to the trans, any ideas are welcome. The sonnax sure cure kit caught my eye, want a transmission i won't have issues with for quite awhile. This truck will become a daily driver, most likely will do some performance upgrades (intake, exhaust, etc.) and I'm sure I'll use my lead foot more often than not.

Chris

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
Why are you looking at rusty truck that will be your daily driver? The rust will only get worse. If it where me i would look for a better body since the mechanicals are easier to fix than rust. The 46RE can be rebuilt at home but you need a press to get the overdrive apart.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Most of my daily drivers have had some body flaws, so I'm okay with that. Important thing to me is it's a truck. Been driving coupes, sedans, station wagons, and even a mini van for the last 15 years. Time to get a truck again.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.