Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon,

I have noticed recently that my 96 Dodge Ram 1500 5.2l is having troucle starting on cold mornings. the truck spent the first 20 years of its life in the southern californa sun and has been brought up here to New Hampshire.

It has a year old Bosch battery and fresh coolant and HM Mobil one oil. There is no sweet smell on the dipstick, or residue on the oil cap. The transmission has a minor breach at the transmission end of the upper transmission line and the transmission fluid is at safe levels.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
More info helps; what does/doesn't it do? what ambient? what oil weight? cranking speed fast/slow?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ambient temp is about 20F or lower outside, first occurred at 8F, coolant at 15F. On ignition RPM's doesn't go above 1000 where as on a normal start-up it jumps to 1500+ then idles between 600-700. Oil is Mobil 1 HM 10-30 crank feels normal.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
ambient temp is about 20F or lower outside,

first occurred at 8F, coolant at 15F.

On ignition RPM's doesn't go above 1000 where as on a normal start-up it jumps to 1500+ then idles between 600-700. Oil is Mobil 1 HM 10-30 crank feels normal.
... Amb 8F, coolant at 15F suggests a block heater was plugged in; is this correct?

... Will rpm rise above 1000 after it has run a bit?
(IIRC my 99 behaved similar ish but I used to mostly plug in block heater due to slow warmup and poor heater core and have not driven it this winter yet so i kinda forget)

... IMO, as long as it always remains running smooth/stable, low/1000 rpm is good as it reduces timing chain wear (and all things involved driving the oil pump); but it also increases warmup time, grrr.

... It was mentioned that truck came from CA (warm/hot clime); and sounds like return line (upper line at rad tank; rear line at trans) is seeping at trans (fitting/s might be loose, orr); anyway would see what it all has for trans cooler/s (if it has both rad and 1 or more auxillary coolers, might want to cover auxillary cooler/s some/fully during winter amb).

On a side note: DK about 96, but IIRC CA trucks have four 02 sensors (others have only two), just something to mention if having other issues in the future.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Upper Transline is seeping due to being warp at the transmission end of the line. My battery prior to start-up was 10v, when running is hangs between 12-14 volts. Trany is a 46re

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
The Upper Transline is seeping due to being warp at the transmission end of the line.

My battery prior to start-up was 10v, when running is hangs between 12-14 volts. Trany is a 46re
... If warp means line is bent/"restricted" fix it before it causes other issues; anti-freeze in trans (will destroy it) or trans overheating).

... Check batt with a meter (10v is way too low, miracle it even started) 12.6 is good after batt has sat for 1 hour).
... Many vehicles charge about 13.8-14.2 volts at idle.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The transmission is not getting anti-freeze in it. The bend is in the flaring extremely hard to see, I swapped out the quick-disconnect and the seeping persisted.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Replaced the IAC Valve today, next cold morning I'll see if that solve the issue, my battery does need a recharge though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.