DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I apply the brake pedal its very hard to press and hard to stop and alot of air noise under the dash. Sounds like I got air brakes!! :thatfunny Anyway Ive been told its the diaphram in the brake booster and a vaccum hose off under the dash. I hadnt had a chance to check yet but I have a feeling its going to be brake booster replacement time. Anybody got any suggestions?

Oh yeah its A 1996 RAM 1500 4X4 5.9 ltr

·
Registered
55 Posts
While this has not happened to my RAM, it did happen to my wife's Pontiac GAGT. The rubber grommet that holds the vacuum line from the intake to the brake booster went bad. Open the hood with the truck running and see if there is a vacuum leak at the brake booster where the vacuum line is connected, try replacing the gromet. If that's not it, perhaps it is the booster.

Hope this helps.
Joe

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
If it was the rubber grommet it would be leaking all the time. A vacuum leak of that size would result in the truck running very rough. Its more than likely the diaphram in the booster.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Ram3500Dually said:
If it was the rubber grommet it would be leaking all the time. A vacuum leak of that size would result in the truck running very rough. Its more than likely the diaphram in the booster.

You are correct. I do remember now that the car would run very rough. The grommet was worn so bad, the vacuum line would actually come out creating a huge loss in vacuum making the engine run extremely rough.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well it wasnt a vacuum leak, it was the diaphram in the Booster . Replaced the booster and all is well. Booster was $60 and it only took bout45 min to complete the job. Very easy to do. I was worried it was going to take half a day to do it.

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
Thats what I figured it was, glad it all worked out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.