DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, This is my first time to post a question so please be kind. I have a 2006 Dodge 1500 4x4 quad cab TRX4. I switched from life long Ford owner to Dodge. I like this truck very much. My question is, I have GoodYear 265/70/R17s that came with the truck. I just got back from scouting for elk in Northern AZ. There was a lot of rain over the last week and the roads were very wet and muddy. I never got stuck, but slid all over the roads and my tires just caked up with mud a couple of inches thick. My thought is that I need a set of good off road mud tires. To try to keep the cost down, I have been looking at Maxxis Buckshots and Hankook tires. In 285/70/17 size. I don't want to do any lifts or anything like that to my truck yet, and would like to use the rims that I have already. My first question is from your experiences which tire would you recommend? Secondly, would 305/70/17 fit my truck? Next, does anybody know a reasonably low priced rim if I wanted to keep a second set to use for 4X4ing? If anybody has any other recommendations to keep it in the $600-700 range, please let me know.
Thanks, raddep

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
yes 305/70/17 will fit just fine I have the 305/55/20,s fit in the wheel well at full flex just fine

·
Registered
560 Posts
Maxxis makes a good tire. I have the bighorn, but there are people on here running the buckshots. They both come in 305's. Do a search, and you should find 2-3 threads specifically about maxxis tires. I do know that my bighorns are noisy, so you will have to deal with that. I've gotten used to it, but my wife hasn't.

I can't tell you much about the hankooks

·
Registered
560 Posts
haha, looking good.:thatfunny I forget the exact number, but I think they cost me like $560(installed)

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
well thats $200 cheaper than the local tire shop here! remember the name of the shop? unless its a local private one that is...thanks!

·
Registered
994 Posts
i know a lot of people swear by hankook. last time i checked they were a little soft for my liking, but i think they'll be great as a second set for hunting trips. just mount them on cheap steel rims and have at it.

·
Country Boy
771 Posts
I love my Maxxis buckshot mudders I go hunting a lot and the are awesome in the mud. Great on the road to. They dont pack up with mud too bad as lomg as you are moving. I highly recomend them. If you want to see them look at my gallery

·
Registered
560 Posts
like I said, my price could be off a bit, but it was around there. That was from a cooper tire dealer in Mountain Home Arkansas.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
tommiwan said:
like I said, my price could be off a bit, but it was around there. That was from a cooper tire dealer in Mountain Home Arkansas.
cool, thanks...im gonna check out the cooper dealers around me for em!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone for your advice. I'm going to try the Hankook Dynpro MT RT03 in 285/70/17's. I'll let you all know how they are. Thanks, Al (raddep)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts