DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been having this whine from the engine compartment and I coulda swore it was the power steering pump so I took it in to the dealer with my service contract I purchased with the truck (pre-owned).

Now, I went with the Powertrain Plus warranty which is everything BUT electrical.

Of course, its the damn alternator is making the whine and not the power steering pump, typical as power steering is covered and alternator is not.

Whatever, it cost all of $370 to have the whole thing done so I wasn't as worried as I thought I would be.

I don't know if this is a typical problem but thought I'd share, I have an 04 RCSB Hemi sport with 90,000 miles.

·
Registered
710 Posts
$370? That seems a bit steep. Hell, I paid $300 for a 225 amp alternator..but I also installed it myself.
I had a stock one I could have sold you for cheap. Oh well, as long as everything is working and you're happy!

·
Got 2 Hemis
5,042 Posts
I agree, but it's probably too late now. Alternators are "cave man" easy. You can get a 160ah from Advance for about $160.

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
$370? That seems a bit steep. Hell, I paid $300 for a 225 amp alternator..but I also installed it myself.
I had a stock one I could have sold you for cheap. Oh well, as long as everything is working and you're happy!
Where do you get a 225 that will work on the ram? I heard that anything larger than the 160 will cause the computer to freak out.

Bill

·
Registered
710 Posts
There was another thread about this as well. I dont think that is true. I have an 02, so Im not sure about other years, but Ive had mine on for a while without a single issue.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ya man buy one and i will help u put it in well depends on where u live lol
Yeah, too late now, I do appreciate the offer though. Believe me, I am all about doing things myself to save a buck, I was just caught off guard with this one.
Thought it would be covered with the warranty, I was getting all giddy thinkin that I would get the upper hand by having the warranty......Whomp whomp whomp wahhhhh.

Thanks again though....btw I'm in Keller.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I think a couple of things you guys are overlooking is he paid the dealer price for an alternator and also and the more important part of this is LABOR. I am sure the dealer charges at or very near $100.00 per hour. The dealer probably lists the alternator for $200-250.00 and at least 1 hour minimum at probably $100.00, that would be $300-$350.

·
Got 2 Hemis
5,042 Posts
Where do you get a 225 that will work on the ram? I heard that anything larger than the 160 will cause the computer to freak out.

Bill
The computer shouldn't care. Voltage is voltage. The larger capacity alternator is just able to meet the current demands of all the toys.

·
Got 2 Hemis
5,042 Posts
Not overlooking it -- it just wasn't necessary, unfortunately. Yes, the dealer has higher overhead than a smaller shop. Additionally, he needs to apply greater markup to the parts. It's likely the dealer bought the part from the same place StopLoss could have. StopLoss wouldv'e paid more for it, due to onesies, vs. volume purchases. The dealer probably made 100% markup on the part.

·
Registered
768 Posts
You can be assured of at least a 100% mark-up on the dealer's parts and probably more like 150%. Plus their labor rates tend to be higher than your average "Joe's" shops. I am all for doing the work yourself to save a buck if you can. I am a mechanic myself, so therefore I can. But many can not, do not have the knowledge even for the simplest tasks, or are afraid of the unknown...something they have never done before, do not have the means...tools, etc. So three hundred and some odd bucks seems high for an alternator change to me also who would change it myself, but when I figure he paid a premium for the part because it was a dealership and a premium for the labor all seemed to be within reason if you can see what I am trying to say here.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Yeah, too late now, I do appreciate the offer though. Believe me, I am all about doing things myself to save a buck, I was just caught off guard with this one.
Thought it would be covered with the warranty, I was getting all giddy thinkin that I would get the upper hand by having the warranty......Whomp whomp whomp wahhhhh.

Thanks again though....btw I'm in Keller.
no problem man anytime i can be of assistance give me a shout

from now on if u have the option to not have them do something then try here first for answers and opinions( i am sure u already know/do this)

keller is not to bad its like 40 or so miles from here( and not to rub it in) we could have met in the middle someplace at a parts place and with a toolbox and the parts place we could have zipped this out in less than a hour

i am glad u got it fixed it just sux u paid so much but bottom line u got it done

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
I think a couple of things you guys are overlooking is he paid the dealer price for an alternator and also and the more important part of this is LABOR. I am sure the dealer charges at or very near $100.00 per hour. The dealer probably lists the alternator for $200-250.00 and at least 1 hour minimum at probably $100.00, that would be $300-$350.
we r not overlooking anything we r just pointing out the exact things u say we r overlooking

bottom line it cost way more than it should have but he got it done and no more worries

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
You can be assured of at least a 100% mark-up on the dealer's parts and probably more like 150%. Plus their labor rates tend to be higher than your average "Joe's" shops. I am all for doing the work yourself to save a buck if you can. I am a mechanic myself, so therefore I can. But many can not, do not have the knowledge even for the simplest tasks, or are afraid of the unknown...something they have never done before, do not have the means...tools, etc. So three hundred and some odd bucks seems high for an alternator change to me also who would change it myself, but when I figure he paid a premium for the part because it was a dealership and a premium for the labor all seemed to be within reason if you can see what I am trying to say here.
best answer so far its thats exaclty what we were all say summed up in one post

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yep, all so true with the markup, dam stealership.

Speaking of markup, ya'll oughta appreciate this: My wife works in bankruptcy for a large auto financier....anyway she got to go to the dealer auctions last Thursday.

The vehicles they have there are either repo's or brand new vehicles that are damage-in-transit.

She watched an 08 Ram QC, 4.7, leather, pretty much loaded go for 10,900. The damm Tundras were going for about 20 and she watched a ridiculous Prius, 06 go for 23k. Simply amazing, and I guarantee the dealer that got the Ram will mark that baby up BIG TIME.

Makes me sick, actually.

Yeah, the alternator was $200 with 137 in labor, tax and $13 disposal fee, stupid.

Thats what I get I suppose, but at least its fixed now.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
no problem man anytime i can be of assistance give me a shout

from now on if u have the option to not have them do something then try here first for answers and opinions( i am sure u already know/do this)

keller is not to bad its like 40 or so miles from here( and not to rub it in) we could have met in the middle someplace at a parts place and with a toolbox and the parts place we could have zipped this out in less than a hour

i am glad u got it fixed it just sux u paid so much but bottom line u got it done
Yeah man, for sure. I actually work in Addison, most of the people I work with live in either Frisco or Plano.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Yep, all so true with the markup, dam stealership.

Speaking of markup, ya'll oughta appreciate this: My wife works in bankruptcy for a large auto financier....anyway she got to go to the dealer auctions last Thursday.

The vehicles they have there are either repo's or brand new vehicles that are damage-in-transit.

She watched an 08 Ram QC, 4.7, leather, pretty much loaded go for 10,900. The damm Tundras were going for about 20 and she watched a ridiculous Prius, 06 go for 23k. Simply amazing, and I guarantee the dealer that got the Ram will mark that baby up BIG TIME.
Yes Sir,
You Betcha! I am a Civil Service Vehicle Mechanic for the United States Air Force. I am retired USAF and now working as a civilian for them. I also have a dealer's license. I am not a dealer! This allows me to be able to go to auctions and buy a vehicle for "THOUSANDS" cheaper than what it will retail for on the lot. Typically all a dealer will put into a vehicle is "WHOLESALE" or to you and me "TRADE-IN" and not a dime more. Some vehicles depending on demand will bring more such as the Prius Hybrids. But general rule of thumb, wholesale is all she will go. The difference between Wholesale and Retail on a late model high ticket auto can be thousands, sometimes in the tens of thousands. Then the dealer makes out like he isn't making anything off this sale when he sells it to you. What a lot of people fail to do when trading is to back out the mark-up from the trade. People always say they got a good deal. That is the game, to make you feel like you won when it actuality they won and they won BIG! What I am talking about is let's say you are trading an older vehicle in for a $25,000.00 vehicle and they offer you $5,000.00 for your vehicle or a trade difference of $20,000.00. Now you have no way of knowing exactly, but just for fun let's say that the mark-up on the vehicle that you are buying after all incentives to the dealer through mfg, floor plan, etc is $5,000.00. So they made a $5,000.00 profit on the car that they sold you right? Now back that out of what they gave you for your car!! What did they give you for your car class? NOTHING! On paper they gave you Wholesale, but in reality they have NOTHING in it. Now when the next buyer comes along interested in your old car they will ask RETAIL for it and move somewhat and act like it is killing them because they aren't making any money. Don't get me wrong here, if they are going to stay in business they have to make a profit. But that is how the game is played!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.