DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put a stock SRT-10 muffler on my Hemi Ram and need to know if I should put in an H pipe in front of the muffler. As I stated in my post about installing the muffler, it's a DI/DO design, the muffler itself is straight through. Is this enough to mix the exhaust gases and balance out the system since all the gasses do go into one muffler or is an H pipe needed to help balance it out?
Jim

·
Tape On
829 Posts
I don't see what difference it would make since the muffler is essentially an H pipe once both pipes reach it. An H pipe, as far as I'm concerned, is for true dual exhaust.

·
Registered
9,813 Posts
What the "H" an "X" Pipe is suposed to do is increase the velocity by increasing the pules to the oposing pipe. This helps scavinging and and promotes better cylider fill... I would not leave that work to the muffler... which is not increasing flow at all. If anything the Muffler is actually the restriction point in your system. So even though your gases are being "MIXED" at that point I dont see that helping to increase the gas speeds at all. So I feel an "X" pipe would help add performance..

Where to put it is the trick. I know in the past we would take a grease pencil and draw a ling on the exhaust system from the header back... Fire the engine up and watch as the marks start to heat up and evaporate.... Where the mark stops to evaporate thats where you add your "X" or "H" pipe... This is said to be where the pulse starts to die and needs a pick me up... It makes since because at the exhaust gases start to cool they take up less volume and thats when the velocity starts to slow.

Either way... I say YES add an "X" Pipe.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool, thanks Nick!
Jim

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.