DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not affiliated with Fox Acoustics (they would be the ones building the boxes) but wanted to guage interest in a 2nd Gen Durango sub box. Also soliciting inputs for where to put it. If theres enough interest, maybe we can get Fox Acoustics to make it for us. Thier work seems top shelf and VERY inexpensive. To me that's the best combo available. I'm posting here because not many people look at the sponsor pages and it would get lost under audio section. To see samples of Fox Acoustics quality, go to the sponsor forum for Fox Acoustics and look at some of the ones for the Ram. Really nice work.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Let me know what you have in mind. Pictures of the location in mind will helpfull. I've nevr looked in a Durango. Is there a removable center console in the front, storage well in the rear floor or maybe even a side pocket like the explorer? Those are the more common locations.

·
Registered
576 Posts
It all depends where the location would be,if its under the 2nd row seat and people in the 3rd row can not place feet under 2nd row this is bad. The compartment in the rear may sound like a good idea but some people like myself use that to store stuff. I think if you place it in a dead space you would get the biggest response. Under 3rd row if possible or in the rear drivers side where the Limited has its stock subwoofer.

·
lostsoul trapped in time
423 Posts
I would be very interested if they make one that replaces the storage space lid in the rear. I currently use that for the amp and have the sub box sitting on top.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I would be interested in putting a bigger box where the limiteds current 8" sub is located.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Looks great if its in the right location I will buy one but the question remains is where. If it goes in the rear storage compartment it will hamper items being slide in and out of the rear. Where do you think a box could be placed?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Count me in as well. I'm looking to do something soon. I can't stand those Infinity speakers. I've lived with them for 2 years and I'm done.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I looked at the Dodge website and they show a picture of a Durango and it has a center console for the back 2 rows. Can those consoles be removed from the seat brackets? Do all of the trucks have the console? Like I said, I don't have one to look at myself. If they can be removed i can mold something similar to a Hotbox.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mine does not have a center console for the back 2 rows. I have floor mounted cup holders for the 2nd row and nothing for the third. If you could do something fo rthe 2nd row that would include 2 cup holders (I don't even know if this is possible) it would be a good replacement. I'll get some pics of my D for you to look at and post them in the next couple of days. Thanks Joe

·
Registered
977 Posts
I noticed after I made the last post that the back seat was just a split rear seat. But the middle row looked promising. There are two versions available. A 3 piece middle row and bucket seats with console for the middle row. I can definitely make something to replace that center console and as long as the center seat cushion is removable I can make a sub box to fit there also. It would probably be a single 10.
I have a picture of a box that I finished designing last week. Its for the Ford Super Duty trucks. I could make something similar for the Durango second row to replace the factory console. The nice thing is that the molded panels are all ABS and its fastened with screws. It only takes 1-2 minutes to remove the panels. You can buy interior matching paints from your local autoparts store that will make it look like a factory piece. After you have painted it, just screw the panels back on and its ready to be installed.

Attachments

·
lostsoul trapped in time
423 Posts
Looks good but the only problem is that the majority of the members here do not have the 2008 Durango which has the 2nd row center console. Many members like my self have 3 seats in the 2nd row and 2 or 3 seats in the third. Do you have any option at all to make use of the storage area in the rear of the D? Can you fabricate replacement for the storage lid on the rear? If anyone disagrees, feel free to chime in...

·
Registered
977 Posts
I just come from one of the local stereo shops that has 2 durangos that a dealership dropped off. They both had the 3 piece middle row and the lower cushion is not removable. There is a round tube that runs across the seat and its welded solid. I noticed that the jack is under the middle row so atleast that leaves the back available.
I checked out the space in the back well and its very tight. There is about 4 inches of mounting depth available. I calculated the available air volume and it would be anywhere from .9-1.1 ft3 total. I also checked out the Pioneer shallow mount 10's and they are 3" deep and require .35-.7 ft3 which is almost a perfect match. Here's a link to the subs http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/v3/pg/product/details/0,,2076_310069927_297564759,00.html The enclosure will be a replacement for the lid and the subs would be flush mounted. I also noticed that I would have to leave a hole in the middle of the box for the tire lowering mech.
The other design would also be a lid replacement but it would be about 1" taller than the surrounding floor. It would also use the pioneer 10's but they would be downfire design with a slot that vents to the top.

·
Registered
576 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Joe, For the downward firing sub in the cargo area, would there be a vent of any kind? You said it would stick up about 1 inch, would it be strong enough to handle the wait of cargo like a baby stroller, plywood, luggage? If it is the upward facing one, is there somekind of strong grill that could be made for it to support this? I'd like something, but can't sacrifice the rear space. Also, if it's the downward facing, would the sub be exposed at all? I just want to make sure I understand everything, don't want to expect one thing then find it's different than that. Appreciate the help.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.