DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
jseay
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y'all. I'm new at this forum stuff, so please bear with me. I have a 1989 Dodge Ram W100, V8, 4X4. I'm trying to restore it the best I can without having to pay someone to do it for me. The main problem right now is that the oil pressure gauge and temperature gauge does not work. All the other gauge's work fine. Any ideas on how I can fix this? Thanks.

·
Registered
777 Posts
I gotta gas gauge that HALF works (only shows half-full - stays stuck there, until the tank is down to a half, and then goes down normally to "E"), so I'm right there with ya'! :eek:

·
Registered
9 Posts
On a first Gen 318 my temp gauge wire is on top of the motor, pasengerside of the carb, near the front . Its a long bolt about 1&1/2 in sticking straight up. I'm just gonna buy the 3 gauge set and mount to dash.
My tank does the same thing cept the other way. Reads full until half gone the plummets to empty. Saw a dude fix that on YouTube. He dropped the tank and wire brushed all the parts on the sending unit. Gas gauge fixed.

·
Registered
777 Posts
My tank does the same thing cept the other way. Reads full until half gone the plummets to empty. Saw a dude fix that on YouTube. He dropped the tank and wire brushed all the parts on the sending unit. Gas gauge fixed.
We replaced the fuel pump (obviously dropped the tank), and replaced the sending unit and all the wires back there (completely re-did the ENTIRE fuel line too - with In-Line Tubing's help - all stainless steel tubing, and new hose connectors) with new ... but clearly something still needs to be done.

I'm thinking, that perhaps the float - which hung there with no gas in the tank for 8 years - probably accrued some corrosion on it, that makes it hang at half-full. I've been trying to keep the tank FULL for the past year & a half, hoping that MIGHT budge it. Maybe a full tank while off-roading, and a good BUMP might dislodge it. If not, I reckon I'll hafta start searching Youtube, and invest in some more wire brushes... :eek:

·
Registered MOPAR User
9,350 Posts
On the dash itself, a bad ground maybe present to that portion of the cluster.

I had issues with my 93 Dakota and the fuel sending unit, once I replaced (Pump and gauge were one unit) and cleaned the wires, my gauge worked normally again...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.