DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I have grease all over the lower control arm and passenger side front knuckle. I havent done a complete investigation yet but I think it is either coming from either:

the axle shaft cv boot
or ball joint that connects lower control arm and knuckle.

Anyone else ever have this problem any suggestion on where to look?

I would appreciate any help.

Thanks

·
bubba
1,561 Posts
its the boot more than likely the outside clip broke or came off happened to me twice the clips at auto stores are crap and dont work stealership charged 27 for new boot and both clips they told me i had to buy everything they couldnt seperate it

·
sans sanity
1,565 Posts
I have cracked boots in the past rather than have the clip go bad. I remove the cv half shaft as a whole and take it to an axle shop and have both boots replaced and regreased.

·
LPG Hemi
2,785 Posts
Definately the boot.
I replaced mine and no probs since.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It was the lower outside boot. For time being I just put a little RTF over the small pinhole where it was leaking and it is fine.

I need to change soon though, just out of curiosity how hard was it I am guessing realtively easy?

Did you need any special tools?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Interesting, I guess I'm not the only one who has had this problem. I have had the passenger side one replaced 3 times. The dealer fixed it under warranty each time though. I have watched them do it and they took out the whole half shaft, and they had to unbolt the upper ball joint, but thats about all I know about replacing it. They also thoroughly cleaned the CV joint in a parts washer to get any dirt out of it. They did it in about an hour. I would check into downloading the manual if you are going to do it yourself. Hope that helped.

·
Registered
281 Posts
my truck has the exact same problem since day 1...

got it home from the dealer, took a look under it, and grease every where.

I gotta bring it back sometime in the near future, I've just been super busy lately. BTW, it's only been about 2 weeks, so it's not like it's been a long time...lol.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
wht93gted said:
my truck has the exact same problem since day 1...

got it home from the dealer, took a look under it, and grease every where.

I gotta bring it back sometime in the near future, I've just been super busy lately. BTW, it's only been about 2 weeks, so it's not like it's been a long time...lol.
So how much grease do you think you lost not sure if it is a good idea to be driving around without grease in the boot?

Is it still Leaking?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.