DodgeTalk Forum banner
  • Enter for your chance to win a $50 Amazon Giftcard! HERE.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Van had been running fine until 2 weeks ago when after driving there was a burning wire type smell when I got out (van ran fine that day). Opened the hood and couldn't trace the smell and all looked fine. Then ran fine for a week, wife took it for a longer drive and phone me to say smoke was coming out from under the hood. She said it went away after stopping and it ran fine for a week again (but sometimes going up hills would be low on power and making a clanking sound). Today wife calls again and says smoke was coming from under hood and it won't start. I go to get her and pick up van which won't start, turns over fine but stutters and won't fire up every time. Look under the hood and all looks good, can't trace the source of burning/smoke. Had it towed home to work on it, problem must be tied into the burning and smoke but can't locate it on this 3.3L 2009 Grand Caravan.

Video of the issue (smoke is greyish/bluish and hangs in the air after unlike white smoke you would see from a headgasket failure, no overheating ever, no coolant loss, oil is fine and doesn't drop, no cel codes. Has had a slight metallic rattling noise on startup for about 5 months only when engine is cold and has been sitting, usually overnight, lasts just a split second and sounds like small ball bearings rattling faintly) :

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Take a look at the check valve on your valve cover. When they fail they have been known to keep your engine oil up in the head instead of letting it flow back to the oil pan. It will cause similar problem. (A): Check oil level in engine.
(B): Check engine oil level when running.

If oil level is WAY LOW when running this is likely your problem. Good luck and hope this helps.
Hope this isn't a stupid question but by check valve, do you mean the pcv valve?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Will check the pcv valve and report back.

Here's another video of the issue showing the tailpipe and the van running a bit longer before it stalled :

1 - 4 of 4 Posts