Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
While going under the dash of our recent 2005 Magnum purchase to fix a heater door problem, I came across a GPS tracker box. I'm almost positive it isn't factory/dealer installed. It's still wired, and blinking. We got the car from an auction, so we have no back history. Probably aftermarket installed with some company/service providing the tracking, that I'm sure by now has expired.

My question is, should I just leave it, and not risk disabling something, or yank it out, and hope for the best?

ty,
D

·
Registered
495 Posts
it's your car I would take it out if it was mine, cut one wire at a time tape them off, or trace them back to the source and remove them

·
Registered
267 Posts
These things are typically installed by used car dealers on vehicles sold to high-risk buyers. Maybe the car got repoed and they just forgot about it.

·
Seating for 12
1,893 Posts
Hey all,
While going under the dash of our recent 2005 Magnum purchase to fix a heater door problem, I came across a GPS tracker box. I'm almost positive it isn't factory/dealer installed. It's still wired, and blinking. We got the car from an auction, so we have no back history. Probably aftermarket installed with some company/service providing the tracking, that I'm sure by now has expired.

My question is, should I just leave it, and not risk disabling something, or yank it out, and hope for the best?

ty,
D
Your car is watching you. Who owns the data?
Computers on wheels raise thorny questions about data privacy

https://www.rollcall.com/news/policy/cars-data-privacy

GPS trackers can be placed now days by anyone. One, to prevent theft, another to spy on a cheating spouse, another to monitor teens and driving locations, etc. In odd instances, even government agencies. It all depends on WHERE the device is found.

Chances are, they are never turned off nor expire. Data is still being collected. And with any state DMV with you being the owner, you are now the one being monitored.

If you found the device near or in the proximity of the radio, chances are, it's the dealer or the vehicle was on lease. Likewise, if the vehicle was used as a rental with an agency too.

Did you buy the vehicle second hand on a used lot? Did you sign any paperwork without reading the fine print vs. a private sale, then you could be subject to tampering due to the contract terms.

I've pulled a few out of Dodge Caravans from the early 2000s.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.