DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done some reading but can't find the answer.....
The issue: I recently put 35s on my Ram and have not yet done any type of calibration change to compensate for this. My speedometer/odometer is obviously off due to this.

The question: If I use a GPS on an upcoming trip, how accurate will it be? Will the "miles traveled", and other directions, be off due to the larger tires? I've never used a GPS so I'm really not sure how they work or where they get their #s from.

thanks,
Tim :help:

·
Flintstone
579 Posts
It has nothing to do with your tires. It triangulates from Sat's to get your location. So you could be in your truck or on foot with the same results.

·
Try harder
13,236 Posts
Nothing to worry about. It doesn't use any of your trucks parameters to show where you are, only satellite tracking.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all for the replies. I hate to sound dumb, but I needed to make sure before I found out the hard way.....thanks again everyone.

Tim

·
Registered
406 Posts
At a steady cruise it will be right on. However depending on your refresh rate you can have a 1 - 3 second delay in changes.

·
I RECOMMEND FUKKEN WAX
13,990 Posts
:truestory:

·
RamRoddin'
793 Posts
Yeah man, as said it depends on yr refresh. If yr refresh is fast, the gps will keep you on track with satellite trackng because the sattelites dont care what kind of tires you have but if you refresh yr position slowly then yr gps's computer may calculate yr position with its onboard computer and who knows what kind of specs it has for yr car/truck's size - im sure they close to some kind of default so im sure it will lag or overshoot in some way if left to its own devices.

·
Got 2 Hemis
5,042 Posts
GPS units are accurate to ten feet. My Garmin "phones home" every six seconds (I think). It'll be more accurate for speed than your speedometer, and more so for the odometer function.

·
Tricked out Ram
12,635 Posts
Yeah my GPS for my Pioneer HU shows my speedo is off by 3 mph too. Theyre are really nice to have.

·
PAID OFF!!!
7,637 Posts
I have pulled many people over who say that there GPS has showed them going slower then there actual speed. Radars are more accurate then GPS, that holds up in court too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.