DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So on a recent road trip....on a private road of course.... I finally decided to see what exactly my truck could do speed wise..... come to find out... its only 102 on flat grade. while doing this the engine is only running at about 2500RPM.... which is what makes me wonder if it has a governor of some sort on it. I know the engine can get above 2500RPM... probably not very good to run it at 3k constantly... but I know its there.

So whats a guy have to do to crank out just a little more speed out of the 6.7L.... like... say.... 120MPH? I wanna use that factory speedo for all its worth. :D

I'm sure this is newb info.... but this is my first diesel.... so bear with me.

· Registered
1,353 Posts
I have no clue, but I would never wanna do 120 in my truck.

· Registered
36,020 Posts
Bullydog programmer allows you to up the speed limiter

· Registered
690 Posts
I get death wobble that will knock your teeth out at 60. I have no urge to drive my truck over 100MPH

· Registered
114 Posts
highest I've had mine is 90 driving to SC from OK. No wobble. Runs smooth for me.

· Registered
296 Posts
Got my 5.9 up to 107 mph and then it didn't want to go anymore. It felt like it could but 107 is as fast as I could get it. Also, found out the cruise won't set over 85 mph.

· Premium Member
31,324 Posts
Ford had a 95 MPG limiter on my old F-250 PS C/C and all the way up to the limiter the truck was solid as a rock. But on the other hand, I was not that comfortable driving a truck that fast; but it has fun.

· Registered
4,446 Posts
You are a crazy to want to take your truck that fast, your tires are not rated for it, if one blows you will be a dead man. The programmer is the only way to raise it but the programmer will mess with your 6.7

· Registered
143 Posts
I have been 90, once.. That is just going too fast for a truck like that. These days it is 75 at the top and more like 65 for most hwy drives. I don't even want to find out if the speed it limited. Getting the 35's to break free is proof enough for me.

· Registered
18 Posts
My 05 5.9l has a 50 horse program and the govener taken off it will do 120 and 5 miles over that because of my tires. I don't know how much faster after that because of my spedometer. All you need is to get some sort of programmer to change the ecu.

· Same Name, Different Game
9,800 Posts
Drunk tank said:
So on a recent road trip....on a private road of course.... I finally decided to see what exactly my truck could do speed wise..... come to find out... its only 102 on flat grade. while doing this the engine is only running at about 2500RPM.... which is what makes me wonder if it has a governor of some sort on it. I know the engine can get above 2500RPM... probably not very good to run it at 3k constantly... but I know its there.

So whats a guy have to do to crank out just a little more speed out of the 6.7L.... like... say.... 120MPH? I wanna use that factory speedo for all its worth. :D

I'm sure this is newb info.... but this is my first diesel.... so bear with me.
Just how fast do you want your truck to go?

· Registered
114 Posts
You just reminded me of the sign my uncle used to have up in his shop. It read:

"Speed takes horsepower, horsepower takes money. How fast you wanna go?"

04Ram2500Hemi said:
Just how fast do you want your truck to go?

· Premium Member
31,324 Posts
DevilDogg said:
You just reminded me of the sign my uncle used to have up in his shop. It read:

"Speed takes horsepower, horsepower takes money. How fast you wanna go?"
... How new is your credit card?
... How deep are your pockets?
... How fat is your wallet?
... How many commas are in your check book?
... ect.

We had the same sign in the shop but hand written notes on the sign.

· Registered
423 Posts
Mine topped out at 110mph, ran great at that speed (I even have a picture of the speedo at 110) :rck:

I'll never do it again, as I know this is very stupid in an 8K pound rig ;) (I don't have a death wish)

· Registered
36,020 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.