DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I was on ebay last night and ran across a performance chip for 2003-05 dodge neons. The price I believe was $336. I also saw that there is another performance upgrade that is cheap, I think it was $25. It had a green and red wire.
What do you guys thing about the performance chip upgrades? They worth it? Or am I just better off with CAI, under drive pulley, ignition.

The reson why I ask is that two days ago I was dropping mom off at the airport and on my way back home a white ford fukus pulled next to me and reved his engine. Well next thing you know the light changed green and split descision said to hammer the gas down. Well the ford pulls away from me like I was standing still, I could not believe how fast he pulled away. The car did not look rice or rims or even an exhaust. All stock wich I could tell. BUT he did have a manual trans. Maybe that is the difference.

The cheap upgrade I know is just a inline resistor for the IAT sensor, Wich I can just go to radio shack and get for $1. But the chip? Is it worth it?

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Sure it wasnt an SVT focus? (170 some odd hp, 6spd) Even a base focus w/ a manual trans would have a considerable advantage over an automatic neon. The Zetec engine puts out 130Bhp and somewhere in the 120's for TQ i believe? now shove that throught the trans calculator: 130hp X 0.85 (MTX) = around 110Whp. Do the same to your neon: 130hp X 0.70 (slushbox) = 91Whp. Weight is about the same, so he wouldve had a considerable advantage already. Throw in the fact that the transmissions have 4.11:1 final drive ratio's and you're pretty much toast.

I wouldnt put any faith in any sort of "chip" giving you power on an 03-05 neon... Three letters: N-G-C. :(

·
Registered
231 Posts
alrighty heres the low down on the ebay chips that are really cheap....i bought one that had the 2 wires hanging out and it made it louder....i got horrible gas milege...i showed no performance from that chip...and that resistor...all the chip is on the inside is the that same resistors with wires i kid u not...figured that out after i smashed my apart...was pretty ticked actually...your gonna notice much much more from a underdrive pulley and CAI by a long shot....and for the CAI....the ebay ones are just freakin fine when u buy any other ones your buying the damn name...if u through an AEM sticker on mine u wouldnt know the freakin difference...so u go from a 200 some odd $ intake to a 60 $ one...just my 2 cents

·
13's when its cold out
1,547 Posts
As far as I knew about chips for those cars... I didnt think they had anything like the mopar ecu's or afx or anything out there to where you actually see a change and difference... I thought the comps were no chipable or something... but I dunno.. I dont own one!

·
Registered
231 Posts
yea they do have afx computers but they suggest built bottom end and upgraded valvetrain for safety...

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I figured that the performer was just a resistor. I was thinking of doing one myself, but with a lower resistance so the computer will read 5-10* difference instead of the performer wich will make the computer read 15-20* colder then wich the ambient temp is.

Now you guys say that the N-G-C computers started in 2003-05 in the neons. The expensive performer chip on ebay is specificly for 03-05 dodge neons and it says for non turbo engines it also has a different part #??????? :dunno: Do you guys think they do have a fix for the N-G-C's?

Attachments

·
Registered
231 Posts
BS on me or BS in general....cause if ur calling BS on me then go look on howellAutomotive and see wat it says...i took it straight from there.

Best results obtained with uprated cam (Crane #16 or more), head work,larger throttle body, ported intake, etc.- Ability to use aftermarket coil and/or ignition system and not turn checkengine light on. (Year 2000 computers only).- Typical wheel HP increase 12 - 14 HP (depending on other mods)- Warning: at the RPM this unit is capable of, you should have 2001-uprocker arms / lash adjusters (DOHC), and stiffer-than-stock valve springs toprevent valve float and resultant damage!-

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
all thats head work not bottom end lol... chips and resisters are a joke lmfao... and if u can find a nice cai for my car it can be cheap made aslong as its 2.5 or 3" pipe and a cai not a hai u show me lol... the cheapest one for my car is the k&n typhoon at $200 or the aem with the cai atachment which is also $200!

·
Registered
231 Posts
mines 2.5 inch and i got mine off of ebay and it goes down into my fender well...its red to so...yea i had brain fart i guess when i thought it said bottom end.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
I was calling BS on howell recommending building up whatever you said for safety. If you peg your engine to the revlimiter on the stock PCM you will have problems, increasing it another 800-300rpm (depending on SOHC or DOHC) does not make much of a difference (you still have problems :D ). Is an upgraded valvetrain nice to have, sure. Is it necessary, no.

·
HoodooGuru
1,586 Posts
Rest in peace oh automatic neon!
Your 5 speed brother is diggin your grave! lol

·
So whats UR excuse?
4,542 Posts
I feel for ya N-Gin!!!! LOL..........I remember just two weeks ago when I put the hammer on a Focus.

Someone at Howell also said that the Jet chips were showing gains on the NGC Neons.
How true it is I do not know but I imagine it's not 300$ worth of raw power! LOL

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
dodgeneonACR98 said:
Someone at Howell also said that the Jet chips were showing gains on the NGC Neons.
How true it is I do not know but I imagine it's not 300$ worth of raw power! LOL
:thatfunny

·
Registered
199 Posts
if u change cams, valve gear, etc. along with the jet chip it should make a difference. might have made more difference w/o the chip. lol

·
Registered
890 Posts
rice_eater said:
If you peg your engine to the revlimiter on the stock PCM you will have problems, increasing it another 800-300rpm (depending on SOHC or DOHC) does not make much of a difference (you still have problems :D ). Is an upgraded valvetrain nice to have, sure. Is it necessary, no.
I thought it was a requirement to hit the rev-limiter at least once a day? :huh:

·
Registered
55 Posts
I can't say one way or the other on the chip. I bought one when i first got my 2005 and it gave me a 7hp increase. thought it was junk so i pulled it back off. then i put a crane #12 cam, cai, pacesetter header(junk) and 2.5 inch cat back with dual 3inch mufflers, and urathane motor mount inserts on the car. went back to dyno about the same hp increase. put the chip back on last week and i feel a difference in acceleration and top end pull (70 to 100mph) but havn't been back to dyno to prove the numbers.

·
13's when its cold out
1,547 Posts
02sxt4 said:
yea they do have afx computers but they suggest built bottom end and upgraded valvetrain for safety...

As the other guys said... thats not true... the only thing that af/x or mopar ecu does is adjust fuel trims, and advance timin a tad to create more power.. hense the reason why they say you MUST run higher graded octane once install. Other than those it gives you some more rpm range... not really helpful for any on a stock cam. Hense the reason why "HOWELL" says it would be best to upgrade the valvetrain, get a bigger cam that will pull to 7500-7800rpm (make that powerband useful), port the head bla bla bla.. every mod you do compesates or makes the mod before that better.

One example.. you buy a header... its not doin you do much good... it will give you a little more grunt dependin whether you go shorty or lt, there is a difference (been in both). So you have the header... decide to go with a cam. Now that cam is gonna compensate that header...because with the bigger and longer valve openin and more airflow.. you got to get it out somehow.. thats where the header and exhaust come into play. Its all about puttin the right setup together!

·
13's when its cold out
1,547 Posts
psydwynder said:
I can't say one way or the other on the chip. I bought one when i first got my 2005 and it gave me a 7hp increase. thought it was junk so i pulled it back off. then i put a crane #12 cam, cai, pacesetter header(junk) and 2.5 inch cat back with dual 3inch mufflers, and urathane motor mount inserts on the car. went back to dyno about the same hp increase. put the chip back on last week and i feel a difference in acceleration and top end pull (70 to 100mph) but havn't been back to dyno to prove the numbers.

well I have not been into the sohc's for about a year now (2.4 srt), but unless something changed which I know a guy with a 05 down here lookin for parts and he still has not found a after market comp system that is PROVEN to work. As far as I still know the newer cars are "supposedly" unchipable... then again remove the ecu and put a megasquirt on there... and BAM.. there is your own.. custom made chip!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.