DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys i got a 97 ram rcsb 1500 4x4 with a 5.2l the mileage on the truck is 204k. i just got a 1757 code on the scan master. my trans has been slipping on the 1-2 shifts once in a while though. when i got the truck it had 188k and i pull the tranny pan and the filter was plugged. put a new one in and added a bottle of lucas tranny treatmeant to help it along. My question is this what are my options for trannys. I believe its a 46re but not sure which rebuilt kit is the best? which torque converter should i go with? is it better with factory parts or go aftermarket?any help will be great.

p.s just so you know i am going to be putting a 7.5' snowplow to do my driveways with once the tranny is good. I am also changing the radaitor and adding a tranny cooler when it gets changed so its all fresh and new.

·
Transmission Man!
3,508 Posts
P1757 Governor Pressure Above 3 PSI In Gear @ 0 MPH usually means a bad governor pressure solenoid or sensor.

OH with a stock rebuild kit,CVC or Precision converter,a Transgo TF OD JR shift and a billet aluminum rear servo piston.

Hook up an auxiliary cooler PARALLEL to the radiator one.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Why add the aux cooler in parallel?

I'm getting my tranny rebuilt and my aux cooler that's been on there for 130,000 miles is in series with the rad cooler. (from tranny In rad - out rad - in aux - out of aux to tranny)

I don't see the benefit of a cooler being parallel with another but maybe I'm missing something....

·
Transmission Man!
3,508 Posts
The cooler in the radiator can block up,it is not "open" it has a "screen". If you run a cooler in "series" in line after the radiator one and the radiator one blocks up,both coolers are stopped!
It will lead to an immediate "melt down" of the transmission. (it ain't pretty,I've seen it too many times)

If you have one parallel,and the radiator cooler blocks up, the other cooler will still continue to flow and return cooled fluid back to the transmission.

You have to have a complete "loop" return to the transmission.

Look at this thread:
http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=164740&highlight=cooler+pics

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks tactransman on the info how strong is the 46re? and shoudl i just try the governer pressure solenoid first?? the slipping is getting worse between the 1-2 shift ? thanks again for your help

·
Transmission Man!
3,508 Posts
The 46RE is a very strong transmission. It is based off the old 727 Torqueflite from the old days that is very strong.
Have you tried adjusting the 2nd gear band?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
are there any special tools needed to rebuild the trans i want to start collecting the parts and do it over a weekend. Is there a step by step manual for the break down? thanks again

·
Transmission Man!
3,508 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Hijack...Hey could I ask you a question Tactransman?I bought a used 2002 1500 4x4 5.9 with 89000 miles. The nieghbor kids stole some gas out of it and left the gas cap off.When I started it the light came on.I looked on this board and found how to reset the PCM.I pulled the #19 fuse ECM/Skim got in the truck,buckled up and turned the ignition to on and got the 2 dings.I put it all back together.It would not start at first.2nd try it fired up and ran smooth.Instantly,there was a power steering fluid low sound (whining)but not from the power steering.It was from the transmission.I checked the fluid and it was full,red and no smells.I took it for a drive and I have no overdrive And drive go's in if I don't give it gas...If I give it gas it falls out of drive.The thing is,the truck ran and shifted perfect before I reset the PCM.What did I do?And can I do anything to correct this?

·
Transmission Man!
3,508 Posts
Try unhooking the battery for a few minutes. It should have nothing to do with the "power steering noise" though.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Thanks,I'll try it.The noise is comming from the transmission though..It just sounds like low fluid in the power steering pump...I sent you a PM .sorry for bugging you and thanks for your help.LM

·
Transmission Man!
3,508 Posts
The noise is comming from the transmission though..It just sounds like low fluid in the power steering pump
That usually means the torque converter is going bad and/or the filter is getting blocked up.

·
Ram Pwnage
602 Posts
I thought the transmissions in the these trucks were notoriously weak, as they seem to be the major component to have problems with.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I just got back from surgery...It went great by the way.But,I checked the truck and It does'nt make the whining noise in neutral.But in all forward gears and reverse it does..It came with a 3 month 4500 mile warranty.I hope they cover this!!!

·
Registered
423 Posts
It goes in the shop tomarrow....I have an aftermarket warranty from guardian.I hope the dealership takes it.Theres a local aamco but,there has been many bad things said local about them...But,just wanted to say,That I siphoned a 1/2 quart of tranny fluid out and in the bright sunshine,it is pretty dark,but with no burn;t smells.It had no overdrive and drive was popping in and out.I put a 1/2 quart of lucas trans additive and the whining got pretty quiet and drive is working again...Still no overdrive though.Again,I'm new at this posting and I apologize to the original poster for jumping in on his thread.

·
Transmission Man!
3,508 Posts
I thought the transmissions in the these trucks were notoriously weak, as they seem to be the major component to have problems with.
I would put these Mopar transmissions against ANYTHING that Ford or Chevy offers! (besides the Allison but that is not comparing apples to apples) ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.