DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, thank you to everyone who has posted their experiences of doing the T/S lift and putting on bigger wheel/tire combos. Got my T/S lift done the other day and wow i'm impressed. Mounted some MB express 18" chrome wheels wrapped with Bridgestone Dueler revo A/T's 275/65 -18 to complete the set up. The tires come out to 32.2 inches tall and 11 inches wide which was just enough to rub the valance of the front bumper. I trimmed that and now everything rolls smoothly. I think it rides much better with the slightly stiffer suspension and these tires are amazing for All terrains. I recomend them to anyone in the market for A/T's. Well since my Durango is a 98 and I drive in the Heavily salted roads of Northern Utah I found that bottom shackle bolt to be so rusted out, it was all but fused to that shackle. After conquring that bolt the rest was a breeze. I also had to crank the torsion bars 10 turns to level it out when everyone else was reporting 7 or 8 turns. I love the look and thanks to all those who have posted. Here is some pics of the new ride.

Attachments

·
Todd O
933 Posts
Looks really good! I had to mess with my torsion bars more than eight turns too to get the d level

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
That looks GREAT!! Nice work! I am happy to report 8,000 smooth miles on my Durango's T/S lift. I will be upgrading the tires in the spring to some 275's on the stock rims. My favorite thing about it is pulling up to or parking next to a stock Durango and sitting 2" higher than they are. Its a great feeling, even my wife says its fun to see a stock D and tower over them! :D

·
Registered
59 Posts
I did the (most of) T/S lift tonight... took forever though due to some very corroded bolts and nuts. I say "most of" because I didnt get the torsion bars raised since I couldn't budge they with a breaker bar. So, they are gonna soak in some penetration oil for a bit and we'll try again tomorrow. I was really surprised though at how much of a difference 2" made in the look of the truck though. Thanks for the great tutorials and help, DT.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I used an 8ft steel bar with some VERYYYYY slow turns to make sure I didn't break anything. lol Breaker bar didn't cut it.

·
Todd O
933 Posts
I use a 3/4" ratchet which worked nicely LOL

·
Todd O
933 Posts
CBK make sure you have both tires off the ground when doing the lift.

·
'00 Dango
272 Posts
The added 2" makes the D look "right". I can't stand to see stock D's anymore. They are just ugly stock. No offence, only my opinion.
My T/S Lift allwed me to get 33x11.5 BFG's on mine w/o rubbing.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I had my D out in the snow for the first time last night and oh man. What a difference from my pickup truck.

Firstly, my tires are amazing. The lift doesn't make the truck feel too top heavy either, as I was afraid of. I did a few donuts on the ice in 2wd just to get a feel for the truck sliding around...What I didn't realize is that the truck DOSEN'T slide around. lol

I live in upstate NY now, and its the middle of no where. Plows come around like, once a day, and it's really windy and it drifts up nice. I got the big transfer case, with 2wd, part-time, full-time, and 4-low and with the snow I just put it in full-time-4 and it's golden. I think the only time I spun a tire on mistake was goin up this huge hill by my house, and that was only the inside tire.

And with the lift, I drove my D across my front yard, which wasn't quite frozen yet, and I had some pretty big drifts. I couldn't find a big enough drift to get stuck in. I never even had to use 4-low.

D in the winter == awesome.

·
'00 Dango
272 Posts
Go back to the Gen 1 Durango start page...scroll down below the performance link and click on the How-To Articles link...select the General Miscelaneous Articles link...select 1st gen durango shackle lift link. This is the best info you can find if you want to do the TS Lift. Direct link also available below.

http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44757

·
Registered
11 Posts
I got my passenger side TB to crank fine. The driver side one I took to my friends shop and he heated the bitch up for like 10 mins and stillll had trouble moving it.

I moved on to a 3" Body lift shortly after and some 33's.

I love the truck now. Amazing off road and i actually think it handles better. but thats just me

·
Todd O
933 Posts
Let's see some pics of your rango. The avatar is pretty small!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey guys, just joined the site and glad I did. Alot of useful info here. Been racking my brains and looking for options for my 98 D . Just got my 16" MHT Therapy wheels and wrapped in some 285/75/16 Yokohama AT's. I was told that these were like a 33 so I figured they wouldn't fit without some work. Tried to get them mounted today and sure enough they rubbed the front bumper right off but at least now I know I can do a TS lift very cheap and probably get by until I do the 3" body lift in a couple more weeks. So I reckon I wiil get started on that come Monday.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Well, I got the torsion bars adjusted. I lifted the truck on the frame this time (instead of the front suspension *doh*) and after a bit of love I got them to move. It was a pain in the rear, but eventually I got it all lifted.

I love the way the truck handles and looks. The ride is much better with the lift, it feels much stiffer and makes for a tighter ride.

After the holidays comes the 3" PA lift and then some 33" BF Goodrich All Terrains.

Again, thanks to the forum for the help and awesome tut's.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Well, I got the T/S lift done and I was really happy with how it turned out. I much prefer the ride now myself. It definitely looks so much better with the bigger tires and wheels. I still have a little fender rub on the fornt left side but nothing that a little trim job won't take care of. I used the universal shackles from Advance Auto and just made a spacer for the top part so that it had some support like the original shackle , actually cut the center shaft out of the original shackle and used it.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
It's amazing how much sexier a truck is with a little lift... Thank you for posting pictures, I definitely need to put this on my "to do" list.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.