DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Night Rider
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well this past Thanksgiving night the last time I had seen my Ram, I hit a curb, bent the back rim really good, so good I could only do about 15 mph. I went back to college and my grandfather put the truck in storage.

I pick up my truck this morning (been waiting for weeks!). Put on the new tires, come to find out, not only did I bend the rim, but I bent the hub in back where the lug bolts are, also I bent one of the lug bolts. We straightened that, thought maybe we were just seeing things, took it on a test drive. Sure enough, she wobbles like a S.O.B.

New axle? Any ideas on the cheapest route?

-Pat-

BTW, my truck got more rust on it in storage than it would have sitting at my house... The brand new exhaust I installed in late october is almost rusted out. Gotta replace that too.

·
Registered
314 Posts
if you got a 9 1/4 igot your axles....

·
Night Rider
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well here is the next question, that backing plate on the drum(hub) whatever term you use, can they be replaced? And would that being halfway bent off cause my tire to be offbalance? Cause the axle itself looks straight and fine. Used a level and it seems right dead on. Not sure, I am gonna try and pry that plate back tomorrow night.

And lastly, does anyone read my threads? I never get responses, lol.

-Pat-

·
Jeep Driver
32,497 Posts
NightRider said:
And lastly, does anyone read my threads? I never get responses, lol.

-Pat-
I replied to this one just because you said that. ;)

I hope you find the answers you need!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Are you refering to the hubs on the axle shaft?

This image shows the complete axle.
Now mind you the lug studs aren't shown but they would be press fitted from the back into the hub (larger diameter holes).

If this is what is bent, you'll need to replace the entire axle, also the axle bearing and seal.
I doubt very seriously that a bent dust plate (the thingy that your brake shoes, and brake cylinders mount on) would cause your wheel to run out-of-round. It would more than likely result in a consistant grinding or binding of the drum and brake shoes. Also, to truely check for run-out, you'd need to guage it with a dial indicator.

·
Night Rider
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am pretty sure after a 20th look at it with the tire/wheel off, that the axle is bent upwards just slightly, maybe 1/4''. Which in turn is what caused that dust backing plate to be slightly ajar. So I think an entire axle reinstall is necessary at this time.

Just got her on the road too... that sucks! Haeusseur I just sent you a pm, I am looking though most likely for 2500 axles with posi.

-Pat-

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.