DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was having a rough ride in my truck and after many trips to the shop getting tires balanced and such...I decided to upgrade my shocks. I went with the Monroe Reflex's and have to say that I've noticed a huge difference over stock (in a good way) but took the truck on the highway and I still have shutter in my wheel at highway speeds (70+).

I thought that this would've taken care of it...what else would cause the wheel to shimmy, particularly when turning on the highway?:help:

I just had the wheels balanced and an alignment with the shock install so I don't think it's those, so any other ideas? I have the 20 inch tires but I can't believe thats the way it is supposed to be...what parts of the suspension should I be looking at now...really getting tired of trying to figure this out. :mad:

Thanks guys...:rck:

·
Got 2 Hemis
5,042 Posts
Shocks aren't likely to cause that. Sounds like it's pitched a wheel weight. Also possible a brake rotor is warped or you have an out-of-round tire.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I really don't think that it's a tossed weight or a warped rotor...but I will check the tires, I'll rotate and see if the shimmy moves...if it doesn't that means it is almost certainly a suspension issue right? Ball joints, u-joints?

·
Registered
952 Posts
What tires do you have? I have 35 x 12.50 r 20 and they vibrate9steering wheel shimmy) at 55, and at 63ish up to 69, 70 is the magical number because it is smooth as silk. My atz's dont balance great and I have 1.25" wheel adapters and i have read that the rack and pinion is very sensitive to changes, ie offset wheels and spacers, which translate any road variations, such as when the road is not smooth. So the question is: what are the roads like that you notice the vibration on, and what tires are you runnin?

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have the stock size Michelin (can't remember the type) 20's...I hated the Wranglers that came with it....but they are OEM replacements.

·
Registered
952 Posts
That would rule out what I said then, the only other thing I could think of othan than they didnt balance the tires well is your ball joints, or maybe a wheel bearing?

·
Jeremy
1,992 Posts
your going from the 5100s to Monroe's?

grab the drive shaft, give it a good wiggle. there should be slight play but not much.
if it has more play then you think it should you need new ujoints.

·
Verde SAR
361 Posts
could also be front axle u joints

·
Registered MOPAR User
9,350 Posts
Ball joints also need to be check for speed vib's. Lift the one side up and see if you can see movement when pulling the top side of tire in and out, should be none to very little movement

·
Registered
277 Posts
ball joints and the control arm bushings themselves should be checked.

If it is the wheel itself, there is a "better" way to balance the combo by finding the heavy part of the tire and the heavy part of the rim and mounting them opposite of each other before the final balance. Not many shops will do it that way because it is more work. But it can help with a tricky wheel and be worth the extra bit of $.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The Bilstein's that I have are in the rear, replaced the stockers up front...also I do not have my truck leveled, sits at stock height both front and rear...

I'm hoping to get the truck up this week and do the simple checks recommended...thanks guys, I will definitely keep you posted, seems to be more common of a problem than I thought.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.