DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I got pulled over because my tint appeared too dark. I need to remove it by monday or he will give me a $250 ticket. What is the best way to remove tint?

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
I have done this in the past, start one corner first, then try and put soap and warm water solution ,around the edges then use a very sharp razor blade to pull off very slowly.

Muscle D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,375 Posts
Do not try to cut with the blade.......shave at as low an angle as you can without cutting the glass......

Put something on the door to keep the glue off of it and do keep it wet when "scraping" the glue off
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
293 Posts
WHat state are you in? DId you get popped for the sides? Driver/pass? Rears?
 

·
Mainiac
Joined
·
526 Posts
Yeah... you added tint, right? This isn't about the factory tint? If it is then MA is once again setting a new standard. Its like they compete with CA to see "Which state govt can be the biggest PITA?"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
366 Posts
Here are the window tint laws for the various states: http://www.tintdude.com/laws.html

I was going to go darker on the front sides to match the rears, but finally decided to go with maximum legal for my state. I once had to peel the tint off the front sides on my old Lincoln Mark VII LSC when I live in CA. When I took it to the CHP for inspection, they still thought the tint was on. I had to show them it was stock glass. Go figure!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
679 Posts
"appeared" too dark?
He has to measure it with a light meter to find out if it is illegal in your state.
If he hasn't or it's not, I wouldn't touch a thing.
If it is and you wanna make it lighter, your best off having the tint shop that's gonna retint it do it. If you wanna do it your self, peel it off by starting a corner with a single edged razor blade then spray some water with a drop of dishwashing liquid on it and use the blade as a squeegy to get the glue off.
Be sure to get it all off your interior cuz when it dries it's as sticky as it was on the window.
Simple pink will help losen up the glue if it's a booger to scrap but it'll make it gummy and hard to keep off the door panels.
Most tint shops will do this for 20 bucks a window.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
grinner said:
"appeared" too dark?
He has to measure it with a light meter to find out if it is illegal in your state.
If he hasn't or it's not, I wouldn't touch a thing.
If it is and you wanna make it lighter, your best off having the tint shop that's gonna retint it do it. If you wanna do it your self, peel it off by starting a corner with a single edged razor blade then spray some water with a drop of dishwashing liquid on it and use the blade as a squeegy to get the glue off.
Be sure to get it all off your interior cuz when it dries it's as sticky as it was on the window.
Simple pink will help losen up the glue if it's a booger to scrap but it'll make it gummy and hard to keep off the door panels.
Most tint shops will do this for 20 bucks a window.
I should clarify. He pulled me over because it "appeared" too dark. His meter told the truth. 14% front and 4% rear. I called my tint guy that I have been using for years and asked him how much to peel it and retint and he said "we'll take care of you" but that makes me nervous. I already paid $260 to get it done in the first place.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,842 Posts
i got rolled for tint also on my truck, i let the truck sit in the sun for a while and just pealed it away and clean it with windex.

the cop said i cant have no tint at all.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
163 Posts
Besides state laws on tint, there are also federal laws. In Cali, if you can tell there's tint on the widow, state law says it's too dark. In Cali, the only legal tint on the forward side windows is a max of 10%, and that is only legal with a written perscription from your doctor, that must be in your possession, for sun sensitivity to the skin. 10% tint is barely noticeable. Get crazy on the rear windows, but ya gots ta leave the fronts alone.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
679 Posts
260 for just the two front windows???!
get any lube with that?
man, back when I had a tint shop, that would have been 40 bucks and a 12 pack of beer.
lol

please tell me he did the entire car for that price.
 

·
BORN 1/24/2009 6LBS 14ozs
Joined
·
2,843 Posts
HIPCHIP said:
Besides state laws on tint, there are also federal laws. In Cali, if you can tell there's tint on the widow, state law says it's too dark. In Cali, the only legal tint on the forward side windows is a max of 10%, and that is only legal with a written perscription from your doctor, that must be in your possession, for sun sensitivity to the skin. 10% tint is barely noticeable. Get crazy on the rear windows, but ya gots ta leave the fronts alone.
Uh, 10% you can barely see through. Most states, even FL. is a max of 28%. My truck is at 15% front 5% rear. You can only see in the front if there is light behind the window. BTW my truck is not legal here in FL. The law really does not enforce tint though unless you are doing something stupid or your vehicle fits a certain profile. Hell, most of the police cars here have 5% tint on them.

SQC
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
it was 260 for all the windows. thats 7 windows. thats $35 per window. He is the best tinter around though. He uses a plotter and his lines are perfect.

I just pulled the tint off the front and rear doors now. It came off easy. I need to clean the residue off but I didnt need to soak them so it didnt make the big mess yet.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
679 Posts
35 on the two front doors most places.
You can paint em black on the back doors n back window if ya want in most states.
You sure you didn't get peel happy?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
163 Posts
SHADOW QUAD CAB said:
Uh, 10% you can barely see through. Most states, even FL. is a max of 28%. My truck is at 15% front 5% rear. You can only see in the front if there is light behind the window. BTW my truck is not legal here in FL. The law really does not enforce tint though unless you are doing something stupid or your vehicle fits a certain profile. Hell, most of the police cars here have 5% tint on them.

SQC
That's 10% tint, 90% no tint, or 10% darker than no tint at all. And tinted windows are a BIG NO NO in Cali. You don't wear sunglasses at night when you drive, do you? Plus cops don't like walking up to a car they can't see in. Don't know if you have your drivers license in your hand or a gun!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,842 Posts
cali has some sh*tty laws what can i say, when i went to go get my ticketed cleared the chp tried to get me for my truck being to tall, but i told him not to worry its not to tall, but yeah im going back 20% tint on the front of mine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
92 Posts
:banghead:
Stripping the tint on my front sides is on the agenda for me this weekend too. Georgia re-instated their laws on tint as of June 1 to allow for no more than 32% (+/- 3%). I was talking with one of Ga's finest yesterday at a convenience store, and he told me mine did not meet the test. Mine is 20% right now.
I talked to my tinter and he charges double the original cost to re-tint lighter. Basically, he charges the same amount to strip as he does to tint. He told me if I was going to do it myself to let the car sit in the sun for a couple hours first, and then use the razor blade/windex process and it should come right off.
 
1 - 20 of 75 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top