DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
The Man
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I order a Hughes plenum repair kit about a month ago. I got it about a week and a half after I ordered it.
Last weekend I was all excited and installed it.
The kit was nice and the installation went pretty easy.
I was extremely disappointed at what I saw once I removed the old plenum though...
The gasket looked brand new! :YO:
Oh well, you can't win them all.

·
The Man
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, that's the only satisfaction I'll have.

My truck has 136,000 miles on it too.

·
REDNECK SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
you aren't alone. mine was fine after 120k miles, that's why I went back with the stock pan & gasket with slightly shorter bolts when I swapped intakes.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Were you guys with the good plenums getting some pinging? Burning oil?

·
The Man
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
My truck didn't burn any oil.
The ping is questionable.
I opened up my throttle body and saw quite a bit of old damp oil covering my entire plenum.
My truck is a total dog so I figured maybe that was the reason/problem. The oil wasn't runny oil it was more like 'dirty' oil like that builds up around an oil leak.
I would have done the plenum repair regardless as I figured it was smart preventitive maintenence, however was/am disappointed that nothing was wrong with the gasket as my truck is still a dog, and it sure shouldn't be.

In the spring of 2009 I sold an identical truck for $1,500.00 that I originally picked up for parts for my 2001 Ram. It was a 1999 Ram, 2wd, 1500, SLT, quad cab, short box, 5.9L, auto, 3.55:1 rear gears, with the same option packages like towing package, light group, travel/convenience group, HD service group, ...
It ran at LEAST as good as my 2001 does. The bad part is the 1999 had 230,000 miles on it (exactly 100,000 miles more than my 2001 had at the time) and gosh only knows when it ever was last tune-up. My 2001 is completely tuned up, runs "great"/smooth and has a lot of mods on it. I just do not think it is as powerful as it should be.
I realize it is a heavy truck (5,200 lbs. with all fluids topped off on a certified scale) but geez.
Though it is a 2001 'California emissions' truck, but that shouldn't too much matter.
Maybe a HEMIFEVER 'tune' would completely change the truck...

·
REDNECK SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
Were you guys with the good plenums getting some pinging? Burning oil?
The Ram doesn't leak or burn anything other than Chevron 91. I originally pulled the intake to install the spare intake I had machined.
Mine was cured with mid grade fuel, a cooler t-stat, and a cooler heat range plugs. I am guessing it was a timing issue, or slightly too high compression ratio to run cheap gas.

My truck didn't burn any oil.
The ping is questionable.
I opened up my throttle body and saw quite a bit of old damp oil covering my entire plenum.My truck is a total dog so I figured maybe that was the reason/problem. The oil wasn't runny oil it was more like 'dirty' oil like that builds up around an oil leak.I would have done the plenum repair regardless as I figured it was smart preventitive maintenence, however was/am disappointed that nothing was wrong with the gasket as my truck is still a dog, and it sure shouldn't be.

In the spring of 2009 I sold an identical truck for $1,500.00 that I originally picked up for parts for my 2001 Ram. It was a 1999 Ram, 2wd, 1500, SLT, quad cab, short box, 5.9L, auto, 3.55:1 rear gears, with the same option packages like towing package, light group, travel/convenience group, HD service group, ...
It ran at LEAST as good as my 2001 does. The bad part is the 1999 had 230,000 miles on it (exactly 100,000 miles more than my 2001 had at the time) and gosh only knows when it ever was last tune-up. My 2001 is completely tuned up, runs "great"/smooth and has a lot of mods on it. I just do not think it is as powerful as it should be.
I realize it is a heavy truck (5,200 lbs. with all fluids topped off on a certified scale) but geez.
Though it is a 2001 'California emissions' truck, but that shouldn't too much matter.
You can prevent the oil residue by swapping a cap style breather in place of the PCV and the stock breather tube.

When you say dog, do you mean no take off or top end? quantify a little.
Your off the line is going to be poor until you get an aftermarket flash for your PCM. The stock PCM has a feature called 'torque management' the cuts initial power from a stop and between shifts to help extend drive train life. If you get an SCT and have TM removed it will feel like you installed a shift kit as the shifts will appear to be more firm since there is no power reduction.

Even with all the shite I've done to mine it only turns 15 second 1/4 miles. If you are wanting something really fast then it'll take some money.
But there is a difference between fast & fun to drive, it's fun ripping around even if I'm not the fastest vehicle on the block.
Mod your truck and have fun with it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
NOW you're on the right path!
Seriously, if you've made a lot of modifications to your truck, and you haven't reprogrammed the PCM, then you're definitely not going to get the performance improvement that you should. Talk to him and he'll answer your questions. I couldn't believe how much the tuner improved my truck!

·
REDNECK SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
^ +1 My next mod for sure.

·
The Man
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You can prevent the oil residue by swapping a cap style breather in place of the PCV and the stock breather tube.
That has already been done.

When you say dog, do you mean no take off or top end? quantify a little.
Your off the line is going to be poor until you get an aftermarket flash for your PCM. The stock PCM has a feature called 'torque management' the cuts initial power from a stop and between shifts to help extend drive train life. If you get an SCT and have TM removed it will feel like you installed a shift kit as the shifts will appear to be more firm since there is no power reduction.
Seems like the take off is slow, midrange is slow, and top end is slow. :YO:
I know that isn't much help, but, heh.
I have a fully built transmission in my truck already. It shifts awesome.
I don't think I would want it to shift any firmer...

Even with all the shite I've done to mine it only turns 15 second 1/4 miles. If you are wanting something really fast then it'll take some money.
But there is a difference between fast & fun to drive, it's fun ripping around even if I'm not the fastest vehicle on the block.
Mod your truck and have fun with it.
I'm just trying to get it to crack into the 15's (15.999 would be OK by me), but it doesn't look like it'll get there.
This is actually my tow vehicle, so I don't need it to be fast, just powerful and reliable.
:gr_patrio

·
The Man
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have thought about that.

I don't know if I do or if I dont.
The ECU has been painted so any stickers on it are unreadable.
I have been watching some of the trucks that come through the shop and all the ones with the death flash stick are pretty easy to tell (sticker is good size/long).
I'm pretty certain my ECU doesn't have the death flash sticker on it (not saying it wasn't removed or somthing).

Is there any other way i can check?
We have a Matco Tools 'Determinator' scan tool, but not sure if I can check what I would need to with that or not.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
if its a 01 it came out of the factory with the death flash...

a tuner will fix that

i have a 2000 with death flash and i bought a superchips flash paq and it took off the deathflash and did mre , felt like a new truck with the performance diffrence day and night diffrence

i would go with sct though due to the make a custum tune and take off torque management , i plan on selling my superchips for a SCT due to the mods i have and want a more gain

·
The Man
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was panning on getting an SCT (maybe for Christmas?), however I am not sure I want the torque management removed?!?

·
Registered
586 Posts
I was panning on getting an SCT (maybe for Christmas?), however I am not sure I want the torque management removed?!?
Don't be crazy of course you do! :cool:

·
The Man
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
:ugh
I'm not convinced I do yet.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Not Jacking your thread.. but i have the Same issues with Little/no power...
I have ok take off power but once it kicks into O/d it just bogs out i have to stomp it out of o/d to get any response. talked to a fellow Dt member and suggested the Tuner as well, will get it for Christmas.. Mine is a 98 and has the Death flash.

·
Registered
334 Posts
2001s have torque managment?

·
REDNECK SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
:ugh
I'm not convinced I do yet.
It will help your 60 ft times, which will help you break into the 15 second range. Will mean the difference between launching or lerching off the line.

·
The Man
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
The stock PCM has a feature called 'torque management' the cuts initial power from a stop and between shifts to help extend drive train life. If you get an SCT and have TM removed it will feel like you installed a shift kit as the shifts will appear to be more firm since there is no power reduction.
With my transmission built the way it is, it already shifts awesome and is already pretty firm.
I removed the waved snap rings and replaced with flat ones, I added a 3.8 ratio kickdown lever, installed a TransGo/SK Jr. shift kit (that has the 1-2 hole drilled to .1094"; 2-3 hole drilled to .096").
I modified my govenor block with a 3/4" drill bit for better fluid flow to the sensor, added a billet aluminum Sunnex reverse servo piston, and a PATC 6-pinion rear planet gear assembly.
It also uses a Precision of New Hampton torque converter (with the billet front cover & Allison billet hub/flange), a TCI aluminum finned extra deep pan, and an massive (11"H x 11"W x 1.5"D) B&M SuperCooler that is mounted right behind my grille.

I don't really want it shifting any firmer if I don't have to.
Is it possible to have the TM removed from the "start/launch" but leave it on during the shifts?!?

:help:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.