DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Limedust said:
The airbags probably didn't deploy because the bumper didn't crumple.

Glad you are okay.

Well, that's not exactly true. Most people do not understand how airbags work. I am an accident reconstructionist. Here's a very brief explanation. Most airbags are triggered by a switch located beneath the seat. The amount of force required to set off the airbags is measured in Delta V. (Change in Velocity) Unless your vehicle achieves a preset Delta V in a collision, the airbags will not deploy. I could go into the reasons for this, but it would be a bit drawn out. In this case, the principal direction of force is located above the lateral direction of travel of the vehicle frame. This has made a mess of the hood, and grill area, but did not provide enough Delta V to trigger the bags. The reason for the high principal direction of force is the height of the moose that was struck. Make sense? Glad that your OK, could have been a LOT worse.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I'm with everyone else. I'd be pushing for a complete total on the truck, no way that thing will ever be perfect again. Sorry about your luck bro, hopefully it'll all work out for you. Maybe you can take advantage of the sweet deals on the 08's now :D

·
MORE! MORE! MORE!
2,914 Posts
Your truck will never be the same. Too bad they didnt total it.

·
Registered
16,621 Posts
Why wont his truck be the same? If he takes it to a reputable shop that does quality work it will be fine.

·
MORE! MORE! MORE!
2,914 Posts
they just never seem the same after a good hit like that. Its like breaking your arm or leg, its never the same after that.

·
Registered
23,005 Posts
Damn! Glad your okay to tell the tale.

·
MS. SK
2,442 Posts
glad you didn't get hurt worse...I would think the insurance company would total it also.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
I just want to thank everybody for the kind words. Also how would I go about pushing for a total? The insurance sent over their own adjuster or I could probably talk the body shop into it but I have no idea how to convince the insurance guy to total it.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
If your truck is worth more then the bill, they won't total it.

·
NEVER DOUBT THE DEMON
14,569 Posts

·
NEVER DOUBT THE DEMON
14,569 Posts
I just want to thank everybody for the kind words. Also how would I go about pushing for a total? The insurance sent over their own adjuster or I could probably talk the body shop into it but I have no idea how to convince the insurance guy to total it.
you can try to talk them into it, but i would put money on it that when a body shop looks at it, there will be more than 11k involved, everyone is right, that truck will never be the same

·
NEVER DOUBT THE DEMON
14,569 Posts
Well, that's not exactly true. Most people do not understand how airbags work. I am an accident reconstructionist. Here's a very brief explanation. Most airbags are triggered by a switch located beneath the seat. The amount of force required to set off the airbags is measured in Delta V. (Change in Velocity) Unless your vehicle achieves a preset Delta V in a collision, the airbags will not deploy. I could go into the reasons for this, but it would be a bit drawn out. In this case, the principal direction of force is located above the lateral direction of travel of the vehicle frame. This has made a mess of the hood, and grill area, but did not provide enough Delta V to trigger the bags. The reason for the high principal direction of force is the height of the moose that was struck. Make sense? Glad that your OK, could have been a LOT worse.

not mine! my sensor is on the back side of the bumper, i was looking at it this weekend when i replaced my air-dam, and the only wire in my seat it the power seat switch and the seatbelt light, but am also one of the people who dont believe the air bags help, ive had to many friends injured more fromthe airbag than from the wreck. i just dont see putting my faith in something that will punch me in the face as i have a wreck saving my life

·
Registered
242 Posts
Reread my post. I did not say anything about a wire being attached to the seat. IF you don't believe airbags work, I guess you're just a lot smarter than all those engineers working for the vehicle manufacturers and insurance agency's. Heck, with your theory let's do away with those silly seatbelts while we're at it. God forbid someone gets bruising from the seatbelt in an accident! That would be way worse than impacting the steerwheel, dashboard, and windshield. Especially with those "worthless" airbags trying to knock you out!

·
NEVER DOUBT THE DEMON
14,569 Posts
Reread my post. I did not say anything about a wire being attached to the seat. IF you don't believe airbags work, I guess you're just a lot smarter than all those engineers working for the vehicle manufacturers and insurance agency's. Heck, with your theory let's do away with those silly seatbelts while we're at it. God forbid someone gets bruising from the seatbelt in an accident! That would be way worse than impacting the steerwheel, dashboard, and windshield. Especially with those "worthless" airbags trying to knock you out!
what theory, all i said is i have no sensors under my seat and most wrecks ive seen of people i know the airbags did more bad than good,including my old friend who got 4 broken ribs from the airbag when the investigator said if the bags had not gone off he would only have some bruising from the seatbelt. and i never even hinted at taking the seatbelt out, thoes have saved my life in a wreck, but i know there is no point arguing with you on this, ive spoken to many in your field and there is no point, btw i was meaning under the seat not in the seat, i thought most would understand that.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Isn't the airbag control module located under the center console?

Glad you were able to walk away. Even a heavy duty bumper wouldn't have helped much in this case. With an elk (or moose's) long legs their bodies are way too high.

·
NEVER DOUBT THE DEMON
14,569 Posts
Isn't the airbag control module located under the center console?

Glad you were able to walk away. Even a heavy duty bumper wouldn't have helped much in this case. With an elk (or moose's) long legs their bodies are way too high.
i wonder id the big ones with the grill guard would have any, some are tough huh?:huh:

·
Registered
936 Posts
Glad you're alright man. That looked like a serious hit. On the topic of totalling your truck, its probably in the hands of the body shop now. When they start tearing into it and seeing how extensive the damage is, they'll see whether its worth fixing or not. Happened with my brother and my sister. A week at the body shop tallying what needed to be replaced and the cars were both totalled.

·
Mopar or No Car
404 Posts
WOW, That was a big hit. Glad your ok and hope everything goes well with the rebuild & the thereafter of your truck.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
In my 04, the air bag sensor is under the center console. I know, found out the hard way. Cut a wire going to it putting in my B&M Megashifter. The wire was on top of the tunnel going to the center console.

41 - 60 of 70 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.