DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
I do all my own stunts!
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I took a look at that thread. My steering wheel doesnt shake. I cant be sure if it started right after the tranny rebuild, it has been so long, i just cant place when it started. I also, supposedly, has an alignment done when they repaired my truck form the accident. at this point, i am not sure i can find this, although that tics me off more than having the wobble, i hate to have to take it to a shop just to find the damn problem. I will have the use of another vehicle over the next week, so it will probably go into the shop to diagnose all the issues, and hopefully start repairing them. i'll post up what is found, in the off chance it will help someone else out.

·
I do all my own stunts!
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
well, truck is at the shop, diagnostics cost $85 an hour, awesome, so far, one hour in, fixed my door lock quickley, found the clunking, rear brakes loose, bolts tight, but the sleeve is loose, possibly sold the wrong shocks, not really sure. brake light issue is a bad sensor. 4wd light is a bad snsor also. some of this stuff addressed in another post. Now the wiggle, they cant recreate it! are you kidding me! it is there every time i drive, i dont understand it! they are going to try again, and I told them i am not paying for more time driving it around, because it is there everytime i drive it. they kinda fought that, but when i said i would come and drive it for them, they backed off, read as, didnt even drive it, and tried to pass it off on me. so things are being found, probably cost a couple hundred bucks to find out and get some things fixed, but will be nice to have a good driving truck back.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I have the same problem with my 96 short box 4x4, goin down the highway and it shifts into last gear or tallest gear, and it shakes very bad, like i gues a gallop... lol, only wy to explain it. When you step on it and it shifts down it goes away. Could it be the tranny or the u joints in driveshaft? I have been driving with overdrive off so it does not shake, and i dont feel comfortable doin that haha....

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
SilverBullets said:
I have the same problem with my 96 short box 4x4, goin down the highway and it shifts into last gear or tallest gear, and it shakes very bad, like i gues a gallop... lol, only wy to explain it. When you step on it and it shifts down it goes away. Could it be the tranny or the u joints in driveshaft? I have been driving with overdrive off so it does not shake, and i dont feel comfortable doin that haha....
That may be your torque converter going bad.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Have you tried rotating your tires to see if the vibration changes? Even if you had them balance them it might still be the tires. I would also jack up your front tires and spin them by hand to see if they spin freely or if the brakes tend to grab.

·
I do all my own stunts!
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
long time no post, family issues caght up with my free time. I have a baby now! ok, anyhow, back to the issue at hand. I still have the wiggle. just got new rims and tires, wiggle still there. i have some testing to do, but it seemed less when i had my cap on after i put the new rims on, but got worse when i took it off. I cannot completely confirm this, because t was a couple weeks in between that i didnt make that connection, but i will put my cap back on and try. Another thing i noticed this morning, yesterday was 90degrees out, and it was wiggling pretty bad. this morning it was 70 when i left for work, and the wiggling was a lot less, not gone, but less. I drive 30 miles to work, and it was better. I t is pretty hot out, so i will see if there is any change when i drove home. Does any of this sound reasonable? or am i just losing my mind? Oh, and i blew a brake line the day before yesterday on the way to work, asked the mechanic to take a look at the rearend when it was on the lift, to see if anything jumped out at him, and he said it all looks fine underneath, driveshaft is tight, and nothing out of the ordinary.

·
I do all my own stunts!
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Just thought i'd update the saga. so far this year i have replaced both front and back brakes, complete, new right front wheel bearing assembly, cause someone didnt tighten the lug nuts down all the way and it got ruined, of coarse noone will fess up to it, and both front steering UV joints. Put on new rims and tires, had both old set and new set rebalanced at least once, twice on the old set. Rotated the rims and tires on both sets. Still wiggles the same! I need a new left front bearing assembely, and that will happen this weekend. But I am in no way expecting it to fix the problem, because nothing else seems to. i'll check back in after it is replaced. If it is still there, what next? I just dropped a new fuel pump into the truck, as I cant afford a truck payment and $400 one time is better than $300 a month. So I am keeping the truck for a while. Any one have any more ideas?

·
Registered
157 Posts
My bet would be the shop that did your tranny work didn't line up the drive shaft when they put it back in like it was originally. Disconnect the driveshaft from the tranny and rotate it 180 degrees and put it back on. As has been said, also check for missing shaft balance weights. They look like the glue on tire weights they use on alloy wheels. The clunk in the back, do you hear it when you shift from park to reverse? If so it's probably the rear u-joint. At least mine was.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Are you guys sure it's not the "death wobble"? Mine did this when the front trackbar was bad.

·
I do all my own stunts!
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I will read up on the death wobble a bit. i didnt think is was bad enough to be called a death wobble, but it is worth a shot. I guess turning the driveshaft over cant hurt to try, never thought about actually tying it, worst case it doesnt get any better and i flip it back.

·
I do all my own stunts!
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Figured i would throw an update in. So far I have replaced both front wheel bearing and hub assemblies, and both front uv joints, on the axles, front brakes, pads and rotors, all within the last year. The wiggle is still there. here is the kicker, it is rhythmical, so it is following the tire rotation. I will sometimes feel it in the brakes while slowing down, like a warped rotor. but not always, sometimes it slows down nice and smooth. It is not affecting the steering wheel, I can let go of the steering wheel at 60 and it will track straight, and the steering wheel doesnt wiggle. Whatever it is seems to be a tighter wobble, or thumping out of balance, now that i reaplaced all that front end stuff. It kinda reminds me of a bad uv joint on a drive shaft, although i have checked them and had them checked and was told they were fine. i havent flipped my driveshaft yet, that is the next thing, but i really am baffled.

·
Bridal Veil Falls
3,229 Posts
I had a simular problem that turned out to be ball joints, mine were totally shot and it would wobble really bad and started to wear the tires in a weird pattern.

·
I do all my own stunts!
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I would think that the shops would be able to tell if the ball joints were bad when they had it up on the rack. the steering wheel doesnt shake when it is doing it. gonna try flipping the driveshaft, but it just doesnt seem promising.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Me too! "Belly shaker" describes it perfectly. Ive got a 99 1500 reg cab 4x4 with 105,000 miles. Been treated gently serviced regularly, etc. I just put on more of a highway tire (General HT Grabber) and that helped a little. Replaced rear brakes and turned rotors. No change. New shocks all the way around. No change. I think alignment is ok due to even tire wear on old tires. I had a clunk in the front end a long time ago and that was a loose shock. I would really like to figure this out! I've got to drive to Florida from New Mexico in a couple of months and would sure like to have this fixed. Now if someone can figure out how to get more than 11 mpg......

Tom

·
I do all my own stunts!
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
ive been dealing with this thing for a while now, short of changing everything out one by one, noone seems to know what it is. i am turning my sights on the driveshafts now.

·
Registered
580 Posts
if the shake is in the front end thats steering stabalizer shock across the front can cause an interesting shake when it goes bad. you could try checkin that.

·
I do all my own stunts!
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Replaced it last year with all new shocks. That really wouldnt make the wobble rythmical would it? it really does follow the speed of a spinning tire if you will, or an driveshaft or axle.

·
Registered
736 Posts
old post yes but i have the exact same problem. ill be changing all my u joints and getting my driveshaft balanced. i have no weights on my driveshaft anywhere so im guessing that they might have fallen off or something and my driveshaft is out of balance causing my u joints to get excessive wear and go bad. mine makes alot of noise but i dont know how long it has been driving with this problem as it made the noise since i bought it. hopefully the rear end hasnt been damaged to much from this problem

21 - 39 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.