DodgeTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Sysco
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
I am having some issues buying rims, the steel soft 8's I wanted, well, I'm told there is a 50-50 chance of vibration that cannot be corrected, if I get aluminum rims it can be, seems all aftermarket rims are not hub centered,(thats not the word but I can't remember what it is) all the aluminum rims I have found that I like in black don't seem to come in my bolt pattern, the moto metals have been discontinued, I am just looking for suggestions, I really don't want to buy the steel wheels and take a chance on the vibration, I wouldn't be able to stand that. I'm looking for about 17x9's the guy i'm dealing with, brian at slammed1 sent me to him so I know he is a quality guy he is doing everything he can but we are hitting dead ends, mostly because I want black rims, I painted my clads and I'm not as happy as I thought I would be, I don't want to have to paint another set. Anyone have any suggestions.

Thanks JP

· Registered
22,981 Posts
Those look cool. :tup:

KB

· Serenity
5,995 Posts

· Sysco
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Austere Bear said:
For a possibly not thought about option :
How about a polished[not chrome] rim with lots of holes. Then get a backing plate or centermatics[rolling balancers]. Paint the plate black and get black lugs and center cap.
Thats a thought I'll have to suggest that to my tire shop Thank you.

JP

· Sysco
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ggravant said:
Thanks Gary, I'm checking into what this guy has, I found some american racing rims that were teflon, they were actually reasonable, come to find out they didn't fit my bolt pattern, the only ones they can find were the Thugs, in black that were alluminum, that way I could fix the vibration if there were any, the name turned me off right away but I looked at them and they are not that bad the jury is still out though.

JP

· Sysco
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here is a question for ya, has anyone had trouble with vibration from aftermarket steel wheels? The ones I want are 93.00 per wheel or I can get the American racing thugs for 170.00 per wheel roughly, they are black and teflon coated, I don't know how to bring up a pic or I would, 680.00 and be able to fix a vibration if there is any or 372.00 and take my chances...what do you guys think, I really need help on this one, the thugs are growing on me but I will spend almost double, anyone go the teflon route? do you like them? I will try to get a pic if I can figure it out.

JP

· Sysco
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

· Serenity
5,995 Posts
jp5.7 said:
http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/2645/are399118938wsnb8.jpg

this is the thug

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/4194/are3985wsbf1.jpg

this is the one I really want if I have to spend 170.00 a wheel but it seems its not made in my bolt pattern.
Hey JP - both of those look good. Sorry, I can not answer your question about vibration, but I did hear from other members on this board that ceramic beads in the tires can help. Here are a couple of links to the products they have used:

http://innovativebalancing.com

http://www.balancemasters.com

· Sysco
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Gary, I'm looking into those beads a little more, I'm about to get those thugs...lol its just hard to let go of that kind of money, I really want those soft 8's, they are so much cheaper!! Anyway, thank you for the links, if I could get the beads and they would work........that would solve my problem, as you know once I mount tires, those wheels are all mine and if I have a bad vibration at 55-65 lets say, I just couldn't deal with that. Got to call the tire man soon so I better make up my mind quick lol.

Thanks Gary!

JP

· Serenity
5,995 Posts
jp5.7 said:
Thanks Gary, I'm looking into those beads a little more, I'm about to get those thugs...lol its just hard to let go of that kind of money, I really want those soft 8's, they are so much cheaper!! Anyway, thank you for the links, if I could get the beads and they would work........that would solve my problem, as you know once I mount tires, those wheels are all mine and if I have a bad vibration at 55-65 lets say, I just couldn't deal with that. Got to call the tire man soon so I better make up my mind quick lol.

Thanks Gary!

JP
Who makes the soft 8's? Did you hear it from the manuf that there is a 50/50 chance of vibration, or did you hear it through the grape vine? I just wonder if you call them directly and tell them your concerns - maybe they will offer some suggestions. Seems like they should offer SOME sort of return policy if the wheels do not work on your vehicle. It is not your fault after all.

· Murdered out
484 Posts
the thugs will look good, the teflons are really ugly too me there for jeeps, kmc xd diesels and rockstars are 188 in black but they are 18x9 there 17x9's wont fit

and national tire and wheel has the motos
ntw motos
and the black dick cepek dc-1's are $171

· Sysco
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ggravant said:
Who makes the soft 8's? Did you hear it from the manuf that there is a 50/50 chance of vibration, or did you hear it through the grape vine? I just wonder if you call them directly and tell them your concerns - maybe they will offer some suggestions. Seems like they should offer SOME sort of return policy if the wheels do not work on your vehicle. It is not your fault after all.
Gary, my tire man said that all aftermarket wheels are not hub centured I think thats the word, like our factory wheels are, with steel wheels, if you have vibration this can't be corrected, with aluminum wheels you can correct the vibration with something or other, I forget what the tire man said, he said some people have issues and some don't, he told me he put steel wheels on his truck and about 65-70 there is a vibration and at 75 it goes away, I can't have that, once you mount tires they won't take the rims back, I don't know why. I trust this guy because Brian (slammed1) sent me to him, he is great, he really wanted me to think about the steel wheels b-4 I bought them, I guess he could have just sold them to me, anyhow, cragar makes the soft 8 so does pacer, it looks identical, costs about the same, I could buy them off summit but It would all come out about the same after all is said and done. This is my life Gary, always a wrench getting thrown in, I have yet to have a smooth decision, no matter what I do there seems to be something that comes up, I guess thats good though, helps to educate me more, I have learned more on this site than I could have ever thought, thank goodness for dodge talk and members like you that are there to help members like me..lol Man that was long winded!!

JP

· Sysco
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Rchemi4x4 said:
the thugs will look good, the teflons are really ugly too me there for jeeps, kmc xd diesels and rockstars are 188 in black but they are 18x9 there 17x9's wont fit

and national tire and wheel has the motos
ntw motos
and the black dick cepek dc-1's are $171

Thanks for the pics, my tire guy Randy and I looked at the rockstar and both he and I came to the conclusion that they would be ok without the star..lol, the motometal, I like if it was all black, those machined pcs I really don't want, this is why i am having such a hard time, I want black wheels, steel=chance of vibration with no cure, aluminum, chance of vibration with a cure but much more expensive, hard to find in black I might add.

JP

· Serenity
5,995 Posts
jp5.7 said:
Gary, my tire man said that all aftermarket wheels are not hub centured I think thats the word, like our factory wheels are, with steel wheels, if you have vibration this can't be corrected, with aluminum wheels you can correct the vibration with something or other, I forget what the tire man said, he said some people have issues and some don't, he told me he put steel wheels on his truck and about 65-70 there is a vibration and at 75 it goes away, I can't have that, once you mount tires they won't take the rims back, I don't know why. I trust this guy because Brian (slammed1) sent me to him, he is great, he really wanted me to think about the steel wheels b-4 I bought them, I guess he could have just sold them to me, anyhow, cragar makes the soft 8 so does pacer, it looks identical, costs about the same, I could buy them off summit but It would all come out about the same after all is said and done. This is my life Gary, always a wrench getting thrown in, I have yet to have a smooth decision, no matter what I do there seems to be something that comes up, I guess thats good though, helps to educate me more, I have learned more on this site than I could have ever thought, thank goodness for dodge talk and members like you that are there to help members like me..lol Man that was long winded!!

JP
Hey man - don't beat yourself up. Maybe just think it over for a while and just do what feels best for you. In the meantime keep looking - you never know what you might find on the classifieds here, on ebay, on craigslist, etc. Maybe a member may see this and have some advice or some wheels for sell that you may like.

I was real close to buying my Eagle Alloy 187 wheels from directline on ebay when I stumbled across a like new set on craigslist for $400.00. Who knows, maybe by waiting for a bit, the extra $280.00 for getting the wheels you are most comfortable with will feel worth it.

I did look around and there really are not that many all black wheels at a reasonable price. Most seem to have a machined rim or small patches of machined areas like the Moto 951s. How about posting a few pics of your truck - maybe someone has a idea on a rim that might look good on it.

· Registered
10,350 Posts
Hey JP,next time you go over there give me a shout,I can maybe help you and Randy out. Its not as bad as its being talked about,its just "covering ass's,because like He said Vendors dont take back wheels once rubber has been mounted,which means they are frowning on test driving wheel tire combos.

Give me a call when you go back,Randy will treat you right and make sure your happy........my aluminum wheels with 37" tires from him are smooth all the way to 110+,trust me I have tried them out.

· You've been Hijacked
15,407 Posts
JP...the word you are looking for is Hub-centric. Which means the wheel is centered on the Hub. Like the guy said aftermarket wheels are lug-centric and they are centered on the lugs. In theory the lugs should be centered on the hub, but there can definitely be variances. I can tell you right now that my SRT-10 wheels are hub-centric, but because I have a 4x4 I have to run 1/4" spacers on the front to keep the tires from rubbing the knuckle/upper A arm. With doing this My front wheels are basically mounted like an aftermarket wheel and centered on the lugs. I have no vibration issues.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.