DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i got some 31" bf goodrich all terrain tire for my 85 ram but i am wondering if this will over work my slant six

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
I guess it depends on what gearing your using.

Going to a tire that large even with Super Six, you'd probably need some stought gearing.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i beleive i figured the gear ratio once to be either a 3.23 or 3.21 and with a 904 so it might work fine i will have to get it through a safety check so i might change the tires to some 235's to avoid the hassle they might give me with the 31"s

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
Hmmm. With a 31" wheel and tire combo, you might want to go with a 3.54 or perhaps a 3.92 ratio.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so either way i'm going to kill my low end torque i was hoping to get low 17's to mid 16's out of this old truck wich i was thinking i might be close to but it looks like that might be out with the tires i was looking to run then again i was thinking of having 3 sets of rims and tires for it

·
Aka Force Fed Mopar
6,120 Posts
Dang, I need to get a job with you if you can afford 3 sets of wheels for 1 truck! lol

I actually had 31's on my old '84 shortbed w/ a Super Six in it and a 904 trans and 3.21 open diff. Didn't seem to kill the low end much at all, I could easily spin pulling out of anywhere. Taking off in a straight line, it would just spin a little. Low end torque is the S6's trademark anyway. Also, I hauled plenty of heavy loads on it with those tires, never had no problem pulling, I always shifted it manually though.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
don't worry all i got are 31's i'm thinking of getting some snow tires for it for winter other then that i'd just set up another set of steelies with some scrap tires to aviod burning away my 31's

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.