DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Green river boy is here!
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently own two dodge trucks 1998 and a 2000 1500 models and i'm looking at a 1978 dodge power wagon it is a 4X4 with the original 318 and only 60,xxx miles all original but the rims and mirriors. needs some body work and a tune up. Is $1,000 a good price ? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
235 Posts
Sounds like an OK deal based on your description. I got my P/W for $600 but it needed a bunch of work (still does).

·
Registered
124 Posts
Sounds like an OK deal based on your description. I got my P/W for $600 but it needed a bunch of work (still does).

CREEPY! I was going to post thuis same exact STATEMENT! Even the price is the same! but i threw in an extra $200 for my winch

·
Banned
1,469 Posts
I gave $1250 for an 83 D 250 (3/4 ton 2WD) off of Ebay about 3 months ago. I had to go ~6 hours north dead smack to the middle of Wisconsin to go get it. It was a little nerve racking buying a truck sight unseen. but so far so good. I ALMOST bought an 87 just like it out in VA, the previous week, instead.. (almost triple the miles away) for $800. I justified the price difference, in the difference in miles away, less $$$ spent for travel.
the whole reason I looked so far away to begin with, is because I have a BAD case of Cabin Fever starting in 9/07 when I got hurt and needed to see some sights away from here, to try to save my sanity. Disability sucks.

Everything done to the truck so far I did myself. though not as efficiently as I would have only 15 months ago. but I'm not working so I have the time. Started with cap rotor plugs and wires, in the motel parking lot at midnight on a Saturday nite. I'm surprised I didn't have the cops called, as I sprayed the air bleeds in the carb out with Gumout and worked the throttle by hand to keep it running.
Not knowing the truck's history, I figured I'd start out fresh for the maiden voyage home. New belts, hoses and T stat, soon as I got home. 25 year old originals, I figured they were due. I had to do the back brakes, axle seals and wheel cylinders, MSD box (had that layin' around) new Summit distributor, then bought a seat and a slider window out of a '91 I found in a junkyard, ("1/2 price Tuesday") a fiberglass cap and a 4 barrel Performer carb and intake from a different junkyard, new door weatherstripping from Steele, plus all the other parts I have accumulated (albeit slowly, as I could afford) to swap Magnum heads in for "More Power" --yes I still watch Home Improvement reruns--- every bit of this done myself; once the heads are on, I will have spent nearly as much on the truck since I got it, as I spent to buy it; admittedly did not HAVE to do probably 2/3 of what I've done on it.
If I had to pay someone? I'd have spent triple what I have, to make these improvements.
THEN I'd say "not worth it". but there's something about wing windows, kick panel vents, dimmer on the floor, and carburetion without computers; YEAH it's been worth every penny! will update once the head swap is done as to the difference it made. Been driving the snot out of it so far and it has yet to let me down. It's so nice to put $$$$ into something because I WANT TO, not HAVE to like my 97 Ram I had last. THAT was a POS.
Still to come; some extra gauges, my CB with twin antennas, stereo improvements, a boot between the cap and cab, and who knows what else. What WON'T change is the 318, non lockup 727 and Dana 60 ear with 3.55s. And driving the snot out of it some more.

Theres a 32k mile 86 D 150 that I have been trying to buy for 6 months now but the old guy won't part with it. I don't know why, he's too old and frail (I'd guess at least 90, seriously) to drive any more; what good's it doing him seeing it sit and deteriorate in the driveway? I gave him my phone number the end of Sept. I hope he remembers what he did with that number, rather than sending it to a junkyard.
theres also a VERY CLEAN 77-78 sittin about 15 miles from here and I have a kid on a driving permit, trying to pry this truck away from me. NO WAY. If I get that 86 or find something out on the 77/78 one he can buy one of those as his own. but they are only 1/2 tons. HA HA!

·
Registered
537 Posts
Even with the low miles the engine will still likely need overhauled. The seals and gaskets dry out after that many years. Regular cab? Club? Auto? Half ton? Please post a picture.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I currently own two dodge trucks 1998 and a 2000 1500 models and i'm looking at a 1978 dodge power wagon it is a 4X4 with the original 318 and only 60,xxx miles all original but the rims and mirriors. needs some body work and a tune up. Is $1,000 a good price ? Thanks in advance
I'd probably go for it. After all, you have the DodgeTalk brain trust right here at your disposal any time you need it -- and our "geniusry" can collectively save you lots of money and aggravation!

Seriously, if it isn't too rusty and you have the patience to work on old trucks I'd recommend that you go ahead and buy it.

Jeff

·
Mopar Madness - Get it...
4,032 Posts
Well, sounds good to me... I paid $1500 for mine (5-6 years ago) but it came with a plow. BUT it needed a lot of work also...

Theres a 32k mile 86 D 150 that I have been trying to buy for 6 months now but the old guy won't part with it. I don't know why, he's too old and frail (I'd guess at least 90, seriously) to drive any more; what good's it doing him seeing it sit and deteriorate in the driveway?

Heh heh heh .... Hey Don, what were we talking about in another thread? 'Sentimental reasons'? :D

·
Green river boy is here!
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The truck is about a 1/4 mile away short drive. Its a regular cab, long bed, (custom sportsman) The only rust is the top of the rear finder wells and has a set of american racing rims.(needs some shining) and the inside needs some work as well. i'm getting it to spend my days off fixing it up so i wont be in the house in front of the tv. But i'm going to get it friday if he don't sell it first.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.