1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Dodgezilla
5,719 Posts
If you put your thermocouple on the downpipe your temp readings will be about 500 degrees cooler than they are at the manifold. If you can just remember this when you look at it you will be fine.
I have my trans sender in the pan and that also reads about 40-50 degrees cooler than your hot line out of the trans. I always keep this in mind....

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
500 degrees?...wow! I was looking for a way out of drilling and tapping, but I guess thats what I need to do to get a true temp reading.

·
Dodgezilla
5,719 Posts
Also, the further back you go on top of the manifold the hotter the temps for some reason. The absolute best spot is after the manifold turns down where the runners all come together. If you are going to put it there then you should just pull the manifold off to keep shavings from falling into the turbo. It's very hard to get a drill in there though. Mine is in front of number 4....

·
Registered
129 Posts
put it at the rear of where they come together.number 6 is the hottest cylinder youre gonna have and thats the one that usually dies.you want to keep an eye on it more than the others.and as for the difference in post and pre turbo temps,dont count on the 300-500 difference staying linear.it grows progressively as temps go up and up...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Generally speaking, the max EGT's one want to see are 1250*F Pre-turbo, and 900*F post-turbo (it's my understanding that post-turbo readings can vary widely as a result of the different turbo efficiencies). :)

·
Registered
129 Posts
1250 pre are very safe numbers.the newer common rails will run that hot and a little hotter box stock.cummins tests these motors and say they will run and hold 1300 all day long.harry piers had a thread on egt`s over on a diesel board that summed it up nicely.basically,he said,,your motor is like a bank account,,every time you go past 1300,youre making a withdrawl,sooner or later,,youll be out....bama

·
Registered
82 Posts
i spoke to mark at piers diesel, he told me that post turbo is a bad idea... if i heard him correctly i believe that he said the base is like 500 degrees less, but then for each pound of boost over... (and that's the number i don't remember) you have to add like another 50 degrees.... in other words something that you don't want to have to calculate while driving.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.