DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey yall. Im possibly thinking about trading in my '10 Challenger for a 2006 Ram slt quad cab. Its 2wd and has the 4.7 L. (Dont know if there are other options, as i am new to rams)

I traded my '02 Dakota in about 8 months ago for my Challenger and now i miss my truck. Kinda hard to throw my fishing and diving gear in the back of a challenger.

Anyways, Ive been looking at that 06 Ram that has 60k miles on it. I test drove it today and honestly i have no clue what i should be looking/listening for. I know on my dakota, before i bought it, it had bad upper and lower ball joints. But the dakotas were notorious for having horrible ball joints. Is there any common things that go bad in these trucks? Any buyers advice? Thanks guys.

·
BEE Ready!
1,274 Posts
I have not heard of anything for the 06 model as far as common issues. If I was you though, I'd stick it out for a HEMI. But thats comming from a guy that has only ever driven the HEMI and will never own a vehicle that doesn't have one :D

·
Premium Member
30,924 Posts
Welcome to DT!

The 4.7L is nice engine but if you can, I make sure it has the Hemi. As for the rest of the truck, you just need to make sure the maintenance has been followed. i.e. - the plugs, ATF+4 every 30K, filters, ect.

:dtrocks:

·
+ Hemi Addict +
580 Posts
where there's fish you usually find mud, 4WD!!!!

·
Registered
461 Posts
Make sure the heat and air come out of all the vents properly. Blend doors and motors in the dash go bad and its expensive to have fixed.
2006 models also seem to have issues with the tach not working properly. Mine reads 0 at idle and 600 cruising down the road, seems many other people on here have the same issue.
I also have a Hemi and say hold out for one- if you don't get one you will wish you have down the road.

·
Toothy Critters Rock!
7,238 Posts
Get one with a 5.7 hemi engine, you will be much mo happy in the long run.
06 models are notoriously heavy too. it can be overcome with some mods, but an 05 or 07 would be lighter and tend to be quicker stock just from the less weight.
On the 4.7 if you went to an 08 model the newer design has more power than the pre 08 model, still not a strong as the hemi though.

Oh in either case look for one with a 3.92 gear ratio (usually stock ratio with factory 20's) and perhaps with the limited slip rear end

·
Takin' Care of Old Red
881 Posts
I agree with all of the above... normal maintenance is key, if not, you will regret it. You will regret it if you do not get 4X4 and Hemi. GL and welcome to DT!

·
Registered
950 Posts
Hey yall. Im possibly thinking about trading in my '10 Challenger for a 2006 Ram slt quad cab. Its 2wd and has the 4.7 L. (Dont know if there are other options, as i am new to rams)

I traded my '02 Dakota in about 8 months ago for my Challenger and now i miss my truck. Kinda hard to throw my fishing and diving gear in the back of a challenger.

Anyways, Ive been looking at that 06 Ram that has 60k miles on it. I test drove it today and honestly i have no clue what i should be looking/listening for. I know on my dakota, before i bought it, it had bad upper and lower ball joints. But the dakotas were notorious for having horrible ball joints. Is there any common things that go bad in these trucks? Any buyers advice? Thanks guys.
Tyler,

If you PM me the VIN I can check for any recalls or warranty restrictions on the vehicle for you.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Get a Hemi! The 4.7L is a great engine too, but you'll wish you had gotten the hemi. :D
What he said! I have a 4.7l and everyday regret not getting the hemi:ugh

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have taken yalls advice and started looking at the Hemi. I found one that i really like. Its an 06' with the 5.7L hemi and it has 50k miles. I drove it and really liked it. Deff better the the v6's im use too. I still hate buying used vehicles that dont have any warranty besides the 2 month/12,000 mile warranty. But i do love the truck.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Look into an extended warrenty through the dealer. I got a full drivetrain and suspension warrenty when I bought my truck for $1500 or so for 2 yr/24k miles, I factored that into the payments and it almost wasnt even noticeable. And I already used it getting about $1200 worth of work done for the $250 deductable.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Get my hemi 04 quad cab 2wd with over 10K in mods for 13500 with 55K miles

·
Jeep Driver
32,497 Posts
The '06 interior fabrics are garbage, plain and simple. '07 and up will look similar but use a treated fabric that is MUCH easier to keep clean. I would look for an '05 before I'd ever consider an '06.

·
Registered
217 Posts
hey man those challengers are awesome but u can't go wrong with a ram!!! but trust us--GET THE HEMI AND 4X4!!! you will not regret the extra cash!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ive deff decided on the 5.7 HEMI but i really dont need 4x4 in Florida. (Ive yet to see a used Ram 4x4 anyways) Ive never needed it on any truck ive ever owned. Plus im only 20 so it would more than likely kill my insurance rate.

Mario, Im from Panama City Beach.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.